Safe heat mat use with wooden vivs - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,079
Default Safe heat mat use with wooden vivs

Is it unsafe to put a wooden vivarium directly on top of a statted habistat heat mat?

Does it make any difference if 75% of the mat is under the viv and the remaining 25% has nothing on top?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM
motorhead's Avatar
Premier Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in the bits between the bits!!
Posts: 7,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavidwoods View Post
Is it unsafe to put a wooden vivarium directly on top of a statted habistat heat mat?

Does it make any difference if 75% of the mat is under the viv and the remaining 25% has nothing on top?

if its stated why not put it in the viv ????
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
if its stated why not put it in the viv ????
To eliminate the risk of it coming into contact with water etc.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2013, 02:25 PM
The_Chosen_One's Avatar
Super Citizen
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavidwoods View Post
To eliminate the risk of it coming into contact with water etc.
I've never had any issues with heat mats inside a viv with regards to water etc. you can buy specific mats designed for humid vivs also that are meant to be alot more water resistant if it worried you. I normally cover mine with a few ceramic tiles, stops anything getting directly onto it, including the snake.

I'd imagine also that you'd be getting very minimal heat transfer with the heat mat under the viv, of course depends what sort of temps you're trying to achieve.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2013, 02:26 PM
AB's's Avatar
Gold Star Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: London
Posts: 5,316
Default

If its under the viv the heat won't penetrate through so would be pointless. Get a ceramic bulb instead...
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,079
Default

Thanks for the replies.

A couple of things -

Can I respectfully ask for answers to the question I asked? I don't want to get into the relative risks or likelihood of whether water will or won't come into contact with the mat, and whether that would be a big deal or not, or how it can be mitigated - it's a separate question.

It's also not true that you can't get enough heat transfer with a mat under a viv - it takes longer when you first set it up of course, but within a couple of hours you easily get the temperature you want, say 28 or so for a corn snake. I have set vivs up like this in the past and it worked perfectly.

I just want to know if it is unsafe to set them up like this - people talk about thermal blocking, but I've never understood what they mean. Heat does transfer through the wood and hence into the atmosphere, it isn't as if heat is being created that has nowhere to go.

Cheers.
lukie likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Adamsreps's Avatar
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Penkridge, Staffordshire
Posts: 436
Default

Hi there, the heat will penitrate through the viv but not that great, I do this for some of my snakes that prefer it slightly on the cool side, having 25% of the mat exposed is no issue. The best thing to do would be to put it inside the viv, and seal some perspex or a ceramic tile over the top

I recon if your ambient house temps are good enough putting the mat under would be fine for a corn
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavidwoods View Post
Is it unsafe to put a wooden vivarium directly on top of a statted habistat heat mat?
Personally, I wouldn't. But I don't know that it's unsafe in itself. I'd be concerned that there isn't an air gap to remove any excess heat, and also with the insulating properties of the wood the mat is likely to be running at close to 100% to achieve the temps.

Quote:
Does it make any difference if 75% of the mat is under the viv and the remaining 25% has nothing on top?
No. The heatmat doesn't care whether it's heating something, or heating air. I have one that is 75% under a viv and 25% open to air (a viv with a glass bottom).
__________________
------
Chris

Snakes - An assortment of garter snakes, including: radix, marcianus, infernalis, tetrataenia, cuitzeoensis, cyrtopsis.
Fish - 180l planted community tank, containing: Lake Kutubu rainbowfish, golden panchax, cardinal tetra, emperor tetra, bulldog plec, peppered cory, and ottos.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,079
Default

I can get the temperature I want fine, the question I'm interested in is whether it's safe.

I'll contact Eurorep directly, I think.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd12345 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't. But I don't know that it's unsafe in itself. I'd be concerned that there isn't an air gap to remove any excess heat, and also with the insulating properties of the wood the mat is likely to be running at close to 100% to achieve the temps.



No. The heatmat doesn't care whether it's heating something, or heating air. I have one that is 75% under a viv and 25% open to air (a viv with a glass bottom).
Thank you, cjd.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heat mats in wooden vivs Shadow_Eyed Snakes 10 30-09-2012 12:56 AM
heat mats & wooden vivs Richard Smith Snakes 2 25-08-2012 03:19 PM
Heat mat under vivs - safe or not? sins_n_needles Snakes 12 23-11-2011 03:17 AM
heat mats in wooden vivs? frankie_barber Snakes 13 28-01-2010 07:10 PM
is a heat matt safe in a wooden viv? david419 Snakes 7 19-09-2008 10:28 AM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:37 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)