Safe heat mat use with wooden vivs - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 07-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Safe heat mat use with wooden vivs

Is it unsafe to put a wooden vivarium directly on top of a statted habistat heat mat?

Does it make any difference if 75% of the mat is under the viv and the remaining 25% has nothing on top?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndavidwoods View Post
Is it unsafe to put a wooden vivarium directly on top of a statted habistat heat mat?

Does it make any difference if 75% of the mat is under the viv and the remaining 25% has nothing on top?

if its stated why not put it in the viv ????
Old 07-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
if its stated why not put it in the viv ????
To eliminate the risk of it coming into contact with water etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
To eliminate the risk of it coming into contact with water etc.
I've never had any issues with heat mats inside a viv with regards to water etc. you can buy specific mats designed for humid vivs also that are meant to be alot more water resistant if it worried you. I normally cover mine with a few ceramic tiles, stops anything getting directly onto it, including the snake.

I'd imagine also that you'd be getting very minimal heat transfer with the heat mat under the viv, of course depends what sort of temps you're trying to achieve.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Gold Star Member

If its under the viv the heat won't penetrate through so would be pointless. Get a ceramic bulb instead...
Old 07-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Ultra Citizen

Thanks for the replies.

A couple of things -

Can I respectfully ask for answers to the question I asked? I don't want to get into the relative risks or likelihood of whether water will or won't come into contact with the mat, and whether that would be a big deal or not, or how it can be mitigated - it's a separate question.

It's also not true that you can't get enough heat transfer with a mat under a viv - it takes longer when you first set it up of course, but within a couple of hours you easily get the temperature you want, say 28 or so for a corn snake. I have set vivs up like this in the past and it worked perfectly.

I just want to know if it is unsafe to set them up like this - people talk about thermal blocking, but I've never understood what they mean. Heat does transfer through the wood and hence into the atmosphere, it isn't as if heat is being created that has nowhere to go.

Cheers.
lukie likes this.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Forum Citizen

Hi there, the heat will penitrate through the viv but not that great, I do this for some of my snakes that prefer it slightly on the cool side, having 25% of the mat exposed is no issue. The best thing to do would be to put it inside the viv, and seal some perspex or a ceramic tile over the top

I recon if your ambient house temps are good enough putting the mat under would be fine for a corn
Old 07-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't. But I don't know that it's unsafe in itself. I'd be concerned that there isn't an air gap to remove any excess heat, and also with the insulating properties of the wood the mat is likely to be running at close to 100% to achieve the temps.

Quote:
No. The heatmat doesn't care whether it's heating something, or heating air. I have one that is 75% under a viv and 25% open to air (a viv with a glass bottom).

Snakes - An assortment of garter snakes, including: radix, marcianus, infernalis, tetrataenia, cuitzeoensis, cyrtopsis.
Fish - 180l planted community tank, containing: Lake Kutubu rainbowfish, golden panchax, cardinal tetra, emperor tetra, bulldog plec, peppered cory, and ottos.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Ultra Citizen

I can get the temperature I want fine, the question I'm interested in is whether it's safe.

I'll contact Eurorep directly, I think.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd12345 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't. But I don't know that it's unsafe in itself. I'd be concerned that there isn't an air gap to remove any excess heat, and also with the insulating properties of the wood the mat is likely to be running at close to 100% to achieve the temps.

No. The heatmat doesn't care whether it's heating something, or heating air. I have one that is 75% under a viv and 25% open to air (a viv with a glass bottom).
Thank you, cjd.