Safe heat mats - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 14-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Super Regular
Default Safe heat mats

Quite a while ago on here i remember a thread about one kind of heat mat that was more prone on catching fire then the others. What are the better ones to buy as there are that many on a certain auction site.

Old 14-03-2013, 02:51 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Quite a while ago on here i remember a thread about one kind of heat mat that was more prone on catching fire then the others. What are the better ones to buy as there are that many on a certain auction site.
Habistat will always be the most recommended IMO

Crested Gecko's : Hobbyist Website : Careguide 101 : Available
Old 14-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimora View Post
Habistat will always be the most recommended IMO
Not if you ask the Microclimate chaps

Basically, the guys that make printed ones will tell you that cloth ones are bad, and the cloth guys will tell you the printed ones are bad. Both guys will tell you theyve never had a mat fail.

Which ever type you go for, don't scrimp - get a proper branded one from a reputable company such as Micromclimate or Habistat, and dont let cost sway your judgement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to goodwin1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enS1ns View Post

Basically, the guys that make printed ones will tell you that cloth ones are bad, and the cloth guys will tell you the printed ones are bad. Both guys will tell you theyve never had a mat fail.

Which ever type you go for, don't scrimp - get a proper branded one from a reputable company such as Micromclimate or Habistat, and dont let cost sway your judgement.
This is true^

Although having said that, all of the pictures you see of melted/burned mats, are the printed type. I've never seen or heard of a carbon weave cloth type jobby failing.
Old 14-03-2013, 03:03 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enS1ns View Post

You say potato

but i'll give you that

Crested Gecko's : Hobbyist Website : Careguide 101 : Available
Old 14-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin1234 View Post
This is true^

Although having said that, all of the pictures you see of melted/burned mats, are the printed type. I've never seen or heard of a carbon weave cloth type jobby failing.
When I get home I might dig out the posts from the Habistat and Microclimate chaps - it's interesting to read them side by side with their own respective (if not heavily bias) views on their own mats and the alternative types.

Both acknowledge their own "type" (printed or cloth) of mats have been known to fail, but both insist their own mats have never failed and examples of significant/catastrophic failiure are by cheaply made rubbish.

Of the spectactular fails I have seen kicking around, the above seems to be somewhat true - these have always been cheap crap.
Old 14-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Ultra Citizen

Whatever you get, make sure you have a thermostat on it and you shouldnt need to worry.

Also, if you are that worried about it, Id say go with a radiant heat panel (RHP) as they dont have that possibility.
Old 14-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarich View Post
Whatever you get, make sure you have a thermostat on it and you shouldnt need to worry.

A thermostat won't stop something setting on fire, it'll stop it over heating but won't stop elements failing and setting on fire.
Old 14-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Ultra Citizen

If its electrical it can cause a fire

Nothing is 100% safe imho..

I have heard of Bulbs popping causing sparks = Fire...

And Ceramics getting so hot they set the side of a Viv on Fire...
Old 14-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR MIYAGI View Post
If its electrical it can cause a fire

Nothing is 100% safe imho..

I have heard of Bulbs popping causing sparks = Fire...

And Ceramics getting so hot they set the side of a Viv on Fire...
It's true - if you ever get chance, speak to a fireman about his views on leaving electrical heating equipment on 24/7 in vivariums with straw (aspen) flooring and silk plants. He'll verbally slap 7 shades of poo out of you.

Speaking of, I had a mild heart attack when I arrived home last night to find a fire engine outside my house. 1 million heartbeats per minute. Fortunately, nothing to do with me - still checked/double checked all my equipment last night though.

Tags
heat mat