Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Snake has eaten plastic bag with mice inside!

14K views 85 replies 49 participants last post by  kato 
#1 ·
I placed two frozen adult mice to defrost inside a plastic freezer bag and placed it inside the vivarium.

A few hours later I went to feed the snakes and my female corn had eaten the bag with the mice inside!

I have contacted several vets who don't know what to suggest. They say it will either regurgitate it, digest it, or pass it through. My worry is that the mice will start to decompose inside the bag and cause a blockage.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the bag from the snake?

#4 ·
Are you for real?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I have a boa that broke out its viv while I was at work. Cooked a chicken dinner, robbed one of my jam donuts....then washed the dishes :gasp:

#16 ·
Real or not..
I personally would make the snake regurgitate the whole lot, as the OP has mentioned, if the bag is sealed and unbroken inside the animal, the possibility of serious internal damage is quite high when you essentially inflate a balloon inside a snake.

As the OP has not even stated the species of snake... I dont believe it. BUT, I would rather be one of the ones that offered advice/'what I would do', if it turns out to be a true story..

Tom

#18 · (Edited)
Yes, I know it was a stupid thing to do. Hindsight is a great thing. I was keeping the mice from the cat who was desperate to get to them. I hadn't done this before (won't do again!).

I have had this snake for 15 years and successfully bred her on several occasions. It was just a momentary lapse in judgement.

If the advice is to make the snake regurgitate, what would be the safest way to do this?

#22 ·
Yes, I know it was a stupid thing to do. Hindsight is a great thing. I was keeping the mice from the cat who was desperate to get to them. I hadn't done this before (won't do again!).

I have had this snake for 15 years and successfully bred her on several occasions. It was just a momentary lapse in judgement.

If the advice is to make the snake regurgitate, what would be the safest way to do this?

Essentially do what you have been told not to and handle the snake after it has eaten, stressing it enough to make it throw up.
I am in no ways an expert, but this is the course of action I would take if this happened to me.
If you do this, I would also be aware that when the bag comes up.. the teeth may well get snagged on it, unless there are plenty of fluids and the snakes head is big enough, so you may need to intervene at that point too.
Oh and get it to a vet ASAP if you can or if you dont feel comfortable doing this.
Lesson learnt. Good luck.

Tom

#20 ·
I'd be tempted to gently squish on it and agitate the snake enough to warrant it regurgitating it. If that's a bag in there, that probably won't come out the other end.

Reactions: stark
#25 · (Edited)
For once there is a thread on here with someone with a real problem that is very unusual and requires other, fellow keepers (in the 'hobby' we all love) to offer assistance and some reassurance. This is not a stupid regurgitated (excuse the pun..) question about what could I fit in this viv or when should I feed bigger food.. and all people can do is get on their Shetland ponies and point out the obvious mistakes that led to the problem.
I guarantee the OP is well aware of their actions and no doubt very regretful for the situation.

As before, I would make it regurgitate it.. after trying all vets etc, but I suspect they will just do/suggest the same..

Tom

#26 ·
Pretty sure you're going to wake up to a sloppy, regurgitated bile covered bag in the morning. I wouldn't attempt to force a regurge, just leave her to get on with it - if no movement in the morning, then seek the advice of a reptile vet.

Anyone remember the snake that ate the golf balls? Removed through a 1 inch cut in the stomache.

#31 ·
I'm pretty sure the bag will have perforated when the snake was eating the mice. That's how they get the prey down so I'd imagine the teeth would tear the bag a little, enough so decomp gasses would escape and not inflate the bag.
Personally I'd leave it alone.

Didn't Alice coopers boa eat a heat mat?

#38 · (Edited by Moderator)
Don't mean to sound rude, but why on earth would you make the snake regurge?
A regurge at any time is a bad thing never mind a forced regurge.
Have you ever seen a snake regurge? It's horrendous.
Leave the poor animal alone or go to a vet.
If it can't digest it it will regurge it. Snakes are good at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.