How to handle a giant snake attack. - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 29-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Ultra Citizen

In all seriousness - and I personally thought the original post was pretty funny, I've got to say - I have not had personal experience with this situation, but I understand that, when dealing with larger snakes, many people keep a spray bottle of vinegar, alcohol, or some other substance that is irritating and foul-tasting to the snake but fundamentally not toxic, to hand, for the purpose of giving it a hearty spray in the face if it makes one of those, y'know, little feeding-ID errors and won't let go.
I have not read or heard opinions on how or whether this works if the snake has just decided to have a good tight coil without consideration of the fragility of the monkey's ribcage/internal organs/whatever - unwinding from the tail is the only thing I have heard mentioned - but I would consider it a reasonable safety measure to break up any untoward misdirections of feeding reflex or the like.

I am not sure I could ingest enough drugs to mistake my corn for a retic. However, I have noticed that since I changed his aspen substrate for hemp and gave him a copy of Dune (can *you* think of a better use for Frank Herbert's "writing" than snake substrate?), he has spent a lot of time doing a splendid imitation of a sandworm. I know, I know, "if there aren't pics, it didn't happen"...I'm going to start keeping a camera in the man-cave with the snakes so the next time one of them does something cool I can document it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Hobgoblin Send a message via Skype™ to Hobgoblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Get your spotter to locate the tail of your giant man eating royal and unwind it tail end first. Then in future ensure your snake watches something a bit more relaxing on the tv like "The joys of painting with Bob Ross."

LMAO too funny Bob Ross Rocks!!!
Carlie likes this.

"I MISSED YOU!!! BUT MY AIM IS IMPROVING!"....

2 Texas Leucistic Ratsnakes
1 Coastal Carpet Python
2 Royal Pythons
1 Snow Corn
1 Bloodred Corn
1 Lavender Corn
1 Black Black Albino Ratsnake x Snow Corn (with possibe Leuscistic genes)
1 Uncontrollable Inner monster
...& an evil twin.

MY RICE CRISPIES TOLD ME TO DO IT!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 AM
Forum Citizen

As already stated grab the tail and bend towards the rear, if you can try to grab behind the head with a free hand as a snake will always try to hide its head when constricting to avoid damage....if that doesn't work you could always get your spotter to "GET THE TABLE".......and 3D its ass back to the stoneage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 AM
5 Star Member

A snake doesn't have to be a giant for you to struggle to get it off.

I have a large male Vietnamese Blue Beauty that tries to kill me on a regular basis. If he can't bite me because I have his head restrained, he tries to strangle me instead. 10-foot of him, 5-foot of me. When it's time for him to go back into his enclosure I have to find the tail end to unwrap him. VBBs don't like their tails touched, so I try to grab his tail and he whips me with it. Unravelling him tail first is the only way I can get free by myself.

Anyway, yes, tail end first to unravel in the first instance.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 AM
Forum Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlie View Post
A snake doesn't have to be a giant for you to struggle to get it off.

I have a large male Vietnamese Blue Beauty that tries to kill me on a regular basis. If he can't bite me because I have his head restrained, he tries to strangle me instead. 10-foot of him, 5-foot of me. When it's time for him to go back into his enclosure I have to find the tail end to unwrap him. VBBs don't like their tails touched, so I try to grab his tail and he whips me with it. Unravelling him tail first is the only way I can get free by myself.

Anyway, yes, tail end first to unravel in the first instance.
ya do realise he is on about a snake don't ya.......I have heard all about these vietnamese beuties

appologies if anyone took offence
Stephan Grundy likes this.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:02 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boa Buddy View Post
ya do realise he is on about a snake don't ya.......I have heard all about these vietnamese beuties
Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Premier Member

Have been strangled by a retic, She wasn't too big about 14ftish but moderately strong. I just unwrapped her using the tail and a couple of sprays of alcohol and vinegar in her mouth job done. I also got attacked by an afrock she was 10ft and felt very strong for her sized.

The cow was resistant to alcohol and her tail was pretty awkward to get too as she then started cranking on my finger which was breaking so i had to try push on her coil to ease my finger being messed up. luckily i had a bath ran so i dunked her in and she released lol after a 10 min cool down she was ok a bit hissy still but there you go. Maybe if Had UB40 playing in the background my finger wouldn't have broke and we could of just hugged it out.