Snake flattening body - Page 3 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 28-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Ultra Citizen

With respect if your so knowledgeable and only come on here when you have a problem maybe you should have given some more information in your original post instead of spending a long time spewing out a whinging reply.

I am genuinely sorry for your loss but criticizing some of the most helpful people on the forum isn't cool.

I've not been on here long but I have seem some people get ripped a new one and tbh they tend to deserve it. Most people who ask for help get it and there are some great people here.
Se7enS1ns likes this.
Advertisement

Old 28-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
Wow good to see im not missing much on RFUK out of all the posts in response I had 2 people say sorry for your loss. So thanks Lord vetrinari, Stephen and bampoisongirl... its good to know there are a few decent keepers still out there...

As for you others especially Seven Sins. Its all too easy to think you might be making a smart or clever comment and post the history of peoples threads...If you were a lil smarter you wouldnt jump to assumptions about me or my husbandry. You have no idea of how many reptiles I have had as pets or rescues etc. I dont update my list as I deal with so many reptiles on a dialy basis all the time especailly rescues which do come to me in very poor health alot of the time ...I have moderaters on here who have given me some of their snakes before which I doubt they would do if they saw any issues with the husbandry of may snakes

..If your were clever as you are making out to be, you would see that my bosc died a long time ago ...I have been keeping snakes for over 10 years mate and they have always been in great health until recently and due to the negativity People get on this forum overall of which most of you have you have just proven by your posts, I never really come on here anymore for that very reason.

Even when people put up a post of how well their snakes are doing on RFUK people like you have a tendancy of twisting things or looking at all the negative things. I learned that a long time ago so whats the point.
Sadly Now I only ever post questions on here if i think I may have a problem and dont bother at anyother time ..... Lots of the Old school folk (who were here from the beggining) from here left as well due to the negativity of folk on here and now I have even have newbie-RFUK hatchlings trying to tell me what to do and telling me I need to look at cleaning out my vivs.....those comments have actually made me laugh.....I hope the haters who dont care about the fact that I just lost one of my babies who was actually my first snake, get the sympathy they deserve when bad things happen to them ...(not to their snakes) ...I am always sad when I hear about someones snake dying ......and all you folk want to do its pipe up and stone people who come on here for help with issues and then you think these comments are clever funny and smart...if your so smart you would realise one of my snakes just died....you guys claim to love snakes....yes i can really see how you have welled up when one has just died...not funny ...and im not even gonna bother reading or responding to any of your post replies on here....Really not interested in nasty comments at this difficult time or about the views of unsympathetic idiots. And tbh I would rather be out there spending my time looking after rescues than dealing with negative (insecure) people/bullies who have nothing better to do than slating or picking at people to make themselves feel smart or better about themselves...

Could you point out exactly what I said which constitutes bullying? You seem to be blaming me for an awful lot of how you feel about RFUK which I haven't contributed to.

I apologise if you chose to read my words with a tone that I did not intend - but that's the funny thing about perception of the written word isn't it - how you choose to read something isn't neccesserily how it's written.

I make no apologies for my choice of words however, I'm blunt, dry and to the point - a couple of the issues you have had are directly husbandry related, and a thorough checking over might do some good - no such thing as too much tweaking.
coldestblood likes this.
Old 28-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Forum Citizen

Still wondering what the COD was. Also wondering what "flattening belly" or "sucking in stomach" even means. Scared/defense mechanism would have been my guess as well, and barring knowledge of what the cause of death was I'd still think that it was a defensive reaction.

It does sound like there's something off as of late, which can always be down to luck. And yeah, you'll have people point that out in a less-than-nice manner, but to be perfectly honest is there a polite way to say "are you sure you aren't slipping/overwhelmed/missing something" without giving offense?

Sorry to hear about the snake. Sorry you're all fuzzled over it/responses. TBH I wish you'd responded with answers about what happened rather than a dig at posters.
Advertisement

Old 28-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Hatchling

Sometimes the truth hurts? As has already been suggested, I would have a thorough clean out of all vivs, take a look at husbandry and consider downsizing-taking in less (if any) rescues.
Oh and regarding your point about laughing at 'newbies' responses who only have a few posts, I have been keeping reptiles (mainly snakes) for 20 years yet have only a dozen or so posts on here, that makes me a newbie right?
Old 28-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Berus?

If you mean spreading the ribs out V. Berus are well known to do that for heat absorption.
However my Ukrainian Elaphe Dione will also do this to a similar extent when sliding between the 2 glass doors of a viv, seemingly for a bit more sunlight. Interestingly enough another behaviour they exhibit is "tail-rattling" Though they don't have bones at the end the rattling is loud when in contact with a plastic surface. Useful primarily when in leaf litter.
It's a mimic of the pit vipers whose range the Diones overlap.

N.B

Still for sale on Captive Bred but a handful of offers have been made so be quick!
Old 28-05-2013, 01:52 PM
5 Star Member

I'm sorry for your loss, its not easy losing a beloved pet.

But attacking those that gave suggestions is really not going to help. I would've said the same in regards to husbandry, i would've checked your previous posts/threads to see if i could flesh out on the lack of details provided to see if i could help....thats not being rude, thats getting the full picture. I care not if a poster is new or older, experienced or just starting out...they are but numbers on a screen that you have to trust.

Tis a shame that people are too willing to think a new member doesn't have a clue..

Remember kiddies...

I hope you had a PM done, and it wasn't anything that the others that you have rehomed can contract.
Se7enS1ns likes this.

Crested Gecko's : Hobbyist Website : Careguide 101 : Available

Last edited by Kimora; 28-05-2013 at 01:58 PM..
Old 28-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
If you were a lil smarter you wouldnt jump to assumptions about me or my husbandry. You have no idea of how many reptiles I have had as pets or rescues etc......................

now I have even have newbie-RFUK hatchlings trying to tell me what to do and telling me I need to look at cleaning out my vivs
Old 28-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Premier Citizen

I have kept snakes for longer than the OP.. can I comment?

The only time I have witnessed anything like what was describe was when a snake starved to death, due to other issues and its last moments where like this..
However I was well aware of what was happening well before these moments and had done all I could at the time to try to avoid such suffering and death.

With all this experience you have.. I cant believe that this just suddenly happened, with out some sort of signs or evidence of ill health being picked up before hand.
IMO, either not enough time is being spent with your collection or you have too many animals and did not notice problems or have taken on a rescue that has transmitted an illness to it or you have used or changed some sort of environmental element (some sort of aerosol, etc) that has tipped the already sick snake over the edge...
Reptiles are such tough creatures that they go on unwell for a long time and only show their troubles when its too late.
Either way, I think it is unlikely to be a sudden swift illness and death, but a problem that has been underlying for some time.

Losing any animal really hurts.. but so can the truth.

Hope you got a PM done.
Would be nice for you to show us you are as you say and prove us wrong...

Tom
Kimora likes this.
Old 28-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
NO he wasnt scared he he died on the way to the vets...
Very sorry for your loss. Martin
Old 28-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Super Regular
Default parasites

I hope the OP gets a pm done, will be interested to hear the results. Whenever I've seen a snake sucking in its ventrals and producing green faecal material I always think of amoebic infections.
I've dealt with this a few times over the years (all in CB snakes!)
These can kill a snake in no time if left untreated.
It's always worth having a faecal check done on any new snakes.
I've certainly had a few surprises in the past, indeed some CB snakes I've bought have had a far higher worm burden than some of my WC snakes came in with!
Don't ever assume that just because an animal is CB that it's super clean.