loosing patients and interest with royals? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 04-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Forum Citizen
Default loosing patients and interest with royals?

Hi guys just wondered if any one else out there gets really peed off with royals feeding response or lack there of, to the point of the enjoyment of keeping them becomes less and less. I am at that stage now, I mean I am not a patient person anyway but Jesus Crist just eat the pissing rat lol. Maybe royals are not for me or maybe I am just having a bad day. I just seem to get so much more enjoyment from keeping my boa than all my royals put together. It's like keeping pet rocks!!!! Sorry for the rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Gold Star Member

For me, I find I get out what I put in. I spend a lot of time up in my snake room, I treat my tubs with the same regard as I do my vivs - if not more so, and i try to handle each snake a couple of times per week, give or take.

I have fairly active snakes, aside from a few days after feeding, but generally speaking they're quite active. I reckon I could go upstairs now and see at least 1 or 2 on the prowl, just sat on a branch or something. Feeding wise, I dont do too bad really - most readily feed at each occasion. They all have their quirks with feeding, and i respect that - some are aggressive strike feeders, some are drop feeders that wait until I've buggered off. Of course I get the odd refusal, but so what.

Most of all however - I don't worry about it. I let them do their own thing, and if that means skipping food for a few weeks, well thats just part of keeping Royals. They're all in tip top health, they're not going to starve to death in a hurry. Nor am I in a race. Sure, I have breeding plans for each. Some have bred this year, some will be next season, some the season after. If I have to bump a girl back to next year, I'm not going to stress about it.

Relax, and dont worry yourself and stress about it. Husbandry plays a massive part in feeding response, so its always worth looking at what you can do in this respect, but other than that, it's out of your hands.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Ultra Citizen

Mine can be crap feeders sometimes but I don't care! If the don't eat for a few months I will and if they lose weight I will but until then I just don't as I knew what I was getting into before I started.

I have 3 so far and all 3 have totally different temperaments and I really enjoy them all, that said I don't have a Boa to compare them to!

I still occasionally waste food but am still growing my collection and hope that soon I'll have enough so there is at least one who is hungry all the time.
Pete Findley likes this.
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcash4321 View Post
Hi guys just wondered if any one else out there gets really peed off with royals feeding response or lack there of, to the point of the enjoyment of keeping them becomes less and less. I am at that stage now, I mean I am not a patient person anyway but Jesus Crist just eat the pissing rat lol. Maybe royals are not for me or maybe I am just having a bad day. I just seem to get so much more enjoyment from keeping my boa than all my royals put together. It's like keeping pet rocks!!!! Sorry for the rant.
Heh, I lost patience and interest with royals before I ever considered getting one. And for just these reasons.

So...everyone chime in on this, because you all know what I'm going to say by now (yeh should, you've seen it often enough)..."GET A RAT OR A RETIC, ALREADY!"
Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Forum Citizen

Yeh you make me see sense again. I do enjoy keeping them and can't wait to get some eggs. I think my husbandry is good but I will be double checking everything again now you have mentioned it. With the time of year and and the fact I have just moved house they may still be stressed from that. Once the snake room is sorted I am going to build a better rack and will see how things go. I'm just being daft after a bad feeding episode lol. Thanks a lot for your words it is much appreciated.
miked19 and Lexicious like this.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enS1ns View Post
For me, I find I get out what I put in. I spend a lot of time up in my snake room, I treat my tubs with the same regard as I do my vivs - if not more so, and i try to handle each snake a couple of times per week, give or take.

I have fairly active snakes, aside from a few days after feeding, but generally speaking they're quite active. I reckon I could go upstairs now and see at least 1 or 2 on the prowl, just sat on a branch or something. Feeding wise, I dont do too bad really - most readily feed at each occasion. They all have their quirks with feeding, and i respect that - some are aggressive strike feeders, some are drop feeders that wait until I've buggered off. Of course I get the odd refusal, but so what.

Most of all however - I don't worry about it. I let them do their own thing, and if that means skipping food for a few weeks, well thats just part of keeping Royals. They're all in tip top health, they're not going to starve to death in a hurry. Nor am I in a race. Sure, I have breeding plans for each. Some have bred this year, some will be next season, some the season after. If I have to bump a girl back to next year, I'm not going to stress about it.

Relax, and dont worry yourself and stress about it. Husbandry plays a massive part in feeding response, so its always worth looking at what you can do in this respect, but other than that, it's out of your hands.
i think this sums it up pretty well, if husbandry is right then you just have to go with the flow with these beautiful placid snakes even if they are sometimes a pain in the but
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Full Time Mother of Fourteen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcash4321 View Post
Yeh you make me see sense again. I do enjoy keeping them and can't wait to get some eggs. I think my husbandry is good but I will be double checking everything again now you have mentioned it. With the time of year and and the fact I have just moved house they may still be stressed from that. Once the snake room is sorted I am going to build a better rack and will see how things go. I'm just being daft after a bad feeding episode lol. Thanks a lot for your words it is much appreciated.
I think part of the package when keeping Royals is doubting whether or not its worth it when it comes to feeding.

They are one of the most notorious for being picky feeders, if everything isn't spot on for that individual snake, then they are a to get feeding.
But still, people keep getting more and more of them.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:30 PM
5 Star Member

Re homed my chap due to i couldn't cope with the stress anymore. The constant tossing all night and the weight loss was more than i could bare.

He was the sweetest chap in the world, he just would not eat anything that wasn't a dark brown gerbil and they were getting harder and harder to find.

Not built for royals
Take them home and keep them in a
secure box and hope they don't escape
Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Ultra Citizen

There's also a real sense of achievment when you get them to eat, my male Mojave just ate for the first time since I got him 4 weeks ago, he is the most timid snake I've ever see but as soon as I put the rat in he went mad and stuck it 3 times before wrapping it up! great stuff
just annoying that the rat I gave him was for my smaller Royal but he rejected so the meal wasn't as big as it could of been but at least I know he actually does eat now!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to NickBenger Send a message via Yahoo to NickBenger

I don't know how long you've been keeping snakes but I found that in my first few years of keeping I kept a few species and found they just weren't for me, for various reasons. I found other species that I absolutely love and would happily have dozens of them (Lampropeltis getula splendida and Natrix maura). I'm not saying sell all of your royals, but perhaps experiment with another species that looks and sounds appealing to you and go from there.

Tags
royal feeding response