loosing patients and interest with royals? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes


  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: cheltenham
Posts: 349
Default loosing patients and interest with royals?

Hi guys just wondered if any one else out there gets really peed off with royals feeding response or lack there of, to the point of the enjoyment of keeping them becomes less and less. I am at that stage now, I mean I am not a patient person anyway but Jesus Crist just eat the pissing rat lol. Maybe royals are not for me or maybe I am just having a bad day. I just seem to get so much more enjoyment from keeping my boa than all my royals put together. It's like keeping pet rocks!!!! Sorry for the rant.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Se7enS1ns's Avatar
Gold Star Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Leeds
Posts: 6,405
Default

For me, I find I get out what I put in. I spend a lot of time up in my snake room, I treat my tubs with the same regard as I do my vivs - if not more so, and i try to handle each snake a couple of times per week, give or take.

I have fairly active snakes, aside from a few days after feeding, but generally speaking they're quite active. I reckon I could go upstairs now and see at least 1 or 2 on the prowl, just sat on a branch or something. Feeding wise, I dont do too bad really - most readily feed at each occasion. They all have their quirks with feeding, and i respect that - some are aggressive strike feeders, some are drop feeders that wait until I've buggered off. Of course I get the odd refusal, but so what.

Most of all however - I don't worry about it. I let them do their own thing, and if that means skipping food for a few weeks, well thats just part of keeping Royals. They're all in tip top health, they're not going to starve to death in a hurry. Nor am I in a race. Sure, I have breeding plans for each. Some have bred this year, some will be next season, some the season after. If I have to bump a girl back to next year, I'm not going to stress about it.

Relax, and dont worry yourself and stress about it. Husbandry plays a massive part in feeding response, so its always worth looking at what you can do in this respect, but other than that, it's out of your hands.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,243
Default

Mine can be crap feeders sometimes but I don't care! If the don't eat for a few months I will and if they lose weight I will but until then I just don't as I knew what I was getting into before I started.

I have 3 so far and all 3 have totally different temperaments and I really enjoy them all, that said I don't have a Boa to compare them to!

I still occasionally waste food but am still growing my collection and hope that soon I'll have enough so there is at least one who is hungry all the time.
Pete Findley likes this.
__________________
Fill your pockets and leave in peace! Or face me and die!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcash4321 View Post
Hi guys just wondered if any one else out there gets really peed off with royals feeding response or lack there of, to the point of the enjoyment of keeping them becomes less and less. I am at that stage now, I mean I am not a patient person anyway but Jesus Crist just eat the pissing rat lol. Maybe royals are not for me or maybe I am just having a bad day. I just seem to get so much more enjoyment from keeping my boa than all my royals put together. It's like keeping pet rocks!!!! Sorry for the rant.
Heh, I lost patience and interest with royals before I ever considered getting one. And for just these reasons.

So...everyone chime in on this, because you all know what I'm going to say by now (yeh should, you've seen it often enough)..."GET A RAT OR A RETIC, ALREADY!"
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Forum Citizen
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: cheltenham
Posts: 349
Default

Yeh you make me see sense again. I do enjoy keeping them and can't wait to get some eggs. I think my husbandry is good but I will be double checking everything again now you have mentioned it. With the time of year and and the fact I have just moved house they may still be stressed from that. Once the snake room is sorted I am going to build a better rack and will see how things go. I'm just being daft after a bad feeding episode lol. Thanks a lot for your words it is much appreciated.
miked19 and Lexicious like this.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 PM
miked19's Avatar
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: welshpool powys wales
Posts: 1,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enS1ns View Post
For me, I find I get out what I put in. I spend a lot of time up in my snake room, I treat my tubs with the same regard as I do my vivs - if not more so, and i try to handle each snake a couple of times per week, give or take.

I have fairly active snakes, aside from a few days after feeding, but generally speaking they're quite active. I reckon I could go upstairs now and see at least 1 or 2 on the prowl, just sat on a branch or something. Feeding wise, I dont do too bad really - most readily feed at each occasion. They all have their quirks with feeding, and i respect that - some are aggressive strike feeders, some are drop feeders that wait until I've buggered off. Of course I get the odd refusal, but so what.

Most of all however - I don't worry about it. I let them do their own thing, and if that means skipping food for a few weeks, well thats just part of keeping Royals. They're all in tip top health, they're not going to starve to death in a hurry. Nor am I in a race. Sure, I have breeding plans for each. Some have bred this year, some will be next season, some the season after. If I have to bump a girl back to next year, I'm not going to stress about it.

Relax, and dont worry yourself and stress about it. Husbandry plays a massive part in feeding response, so its always worth looking at what you can do in this respect, but other than that, it's out of your hands.
i think this sums it up pretty well, if husbandry is right then you just have to go with the flow with these beautiful placid snakes even if they are sometimes a pain in the but
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Lexicious's Avatar
Full Time Mother of Fourteen.
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hoenn
Posts: 5,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcash4321 View Post
Yeh you make me see sense again. I do enjoy keeping them and can't wait to get some eggs. I think my husbandry is good but I will be double checking everything again now you have mentioned it. With the time of year and and the fact I have just moved house they may still be stressed from that. Once the snake room is sorted I am going to build a better rack and will see how things go. I'm just being daft after a bad feeding episode lol. Thanks a lot for your words it is much appreciated.
I think part of the package when keeping Royals is doubting whether or not its worth it when it comes to feeding.

They are one of the most notorious for being picky feeders, if everything isn't spot on for that individual snake, then they are a to get feeding.
But still, people keep getting more and more of them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:30 PM
5 Star Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Common part of England
Posts: 4,918
Default

Re homed my chap due to i couldn't cope with the stress anymore. The constant tossing all night and the weight loss was more than i could bare.

He was the sweetest chap in the world, he just would not eat anything that wasn't a dark brown gerbil and they were getting harder and harder to find.

Not built for royals
__________________
Snakes keeping is like dating
You find the one you want
You put them in a sack
Take them home and keep them in a
secure box and hope they don't escape
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Ultra Citizen
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,243
Default

There's also a real sense of achievment when you get them to eat, my male Mojave just ate for the first time since I got him 4 weeks ago, he is the most timid snake I've ever see but as soon as I put the rat in he went mad and stuck it 3 times before wrapping it up! great stuff
just annoying that the rat I gave him was for my smaller Royal but he rejected so the meal wasn't as big as it could of been but at least I know he actually does eat now!
__________________
Fill your pockets and leave in peace! Or face me and die!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 PM
NickBenger's Avatar
Gold Star Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Near Bristol, SW England
Posts: 5,213
Send a message via MSN to NickBenger Send a message via Yahoo to NickBenger
Default

I don't know how long you've been keeping snakes but I found that in my first few years of keeping I kept a few species and found they just weren't for me, for various reasons. I found other species that I absolutely love and would happily have dozens of them (Lampropeltis getula splendida and Natrix maura). I'm not saying sell all of your royals, but perhaps experiment with another species that looks and sounds appealing to you and go from there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
royal feeding response

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W Midlands seeing interest in these,... 2 Royals sawwah Snake Classifieds 16 30-04-2011 05:13 PM
Getting interest on Royals - talltom69 Snake Classifieds 9 27-08-2008 05:22 PM
1:1 Royals ( Again Seein If Any Interest ) Synergy Snake Classifieds 10 30-01-2008 09:57 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2005 - 2011, Reptile Forums (RFUK™)