Reptile Forums banner

thermostat and thermometer position

Tags
snake
1K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  AlanK 
#1 ·
iv got a 4x2x2 viv and a 5ft common boa, i was wondering what the best positions was to put the sensors for my thermostat and digital thermometer. im getting mixed answers on other other web sites so any help would be appreciated....

#3 ·
I do similar to above but I only have one thermometer.

The thermostat probe is ok stuck to the wall, that way the snake can't sit on it/move /change the temp it reads etc
But you need to know the temperature of the hot spot, which needs to be in a place the snake can access it.
For a boa this is usually on the floor under the heater so that's where you should put the thermometer probe.

#5 ·
No, quite the opposite.
Having carpets and boas the likely hood of them moving/sitting/hanging off a wire is quite high so they needed to be quite firmly nailed down. Carpets will pull anything that isn't firmly fixed off the walls/roof and I'm forever tidying up the decor.
The heating wouldn't stand a chance of being stable with some of them.

The probes are nailed to the side wall about level with the bottom of the guard.
I use pulse stats for them all and once set up have never had to tweek the stats at all.

#6 ·
I go off the temp my digital thermometer is reading on the floor under the heat and set the stat accordingly regardless of what temp the stat is on as longs the digital thermometer is reading what i want, by doing it this way if the snake sits on top of the thermometer probe the temp on the thermometer will drop but the stat will still be pumping out the same heat so have a more stable temp :2thumb:

#7 ·
the sensor for the stat is free hanging in my viv and is about 3-4 inches off the floor as yet never had problem with my boas trying to hang off the sensor and there is just no way my boas can hang off the sensor .i will though give your way a try and see if it works for me

#12 ·
the sensor for the stat is free hanging in my viv and is about 3-4 inches off the floor as yet never had problem with my boas trying to hang off the sensor and there is just no way my boas can hang off the sensor .i will though give your way a try and see if it works for me
Must admit I'd have the camera out pdq if I cuaght my big boa hanging from her stat probe. :roll2:
She does do quite a bit of climbing though.

The carpets however can and do hang from wires and I have had them pull it off from the wall in the past even when they were still only small.

There's no one way of doing it, everyone finds a way to make it work with their particular snakes.

#8 ·
Use a similar way to check temps/stat.....on wall, measure hot spot with a temp gun, never very much out.

I`m pretty sure the serpents do not mind a bit of variation!

Dave

#9 ·
I put the probes for stat and thermometer where the snake will actually be, as that is the point where the heat matters most!

Mind, I mostly keep temp-hardy ratsnake species, so a moderate bit of variation (like, if the snake decides to nest on the probes and cause funny readings) is not that big of a deal. Since I no longer live in a quite warm climate (climate change, please bring back the "Holocene optimum" - we've 2.5 C to raise yet!), I'm going to have to up my game on temp control some when I get my retic (Ern, have they mated yet?). However, this seems to be working pretty well for me so far.

#10 ·
I put the probes for stat and thermometer where the snake will actually be, as that is the point where the heat matters most!

Mind, I mostly keep temp-hardy ratsnake species, so a moderate bit of variation (like, if the snake decides to nest on the probes and cause funny readings) is not that big of a deal. Since I no longer live in a quite warm climate (climate change, please bring back the "Holocene optimum" - we've 2.5 C to raise yet!), I'm going to have to up my game on temp control some when I get my retic (Ern, have they mated yet?). However, this seems to be working pretty well for me so far.

As you say, there's a huge variety of snakes around, each of which has its own requirements.

I've got several species that I don't even heat.

#14 ·
right i have quick question .

im currently in the middle of getting my royal his 4ft viv all together .

i have everything heat wise and tons of stuff to go in there .

for example .

could i have say the ceramic bulb in the middle of the left side of the viv and have 1 of the thermometer probes on the floor of the viv stuck down well .

i also have bought the habitat pulse proportional stat 600w one

but i just need to get a rough idea on where to mount them and where is the best / ideal place to put them .

obviously as long as i have the main habistat probe and 1 thermometer probe under the heat source and the other one one the cold side of the viv ???

is this ok .

if not please can i have some advice .

i am reading threads and it basically tells me its down to preference . { meaning everyone has there own way }

cheers
stu

#15 ·
From what I know dont put the stat prob directly under the heat source but rather a short distance away and experiment with exactly where to achieve the most stable temps.

Have a temp prob under the heat source to ensure you get the right basking temp and adjust from there using the temp gauge rather than the scale on your stat.

I am about to set up an AHS and have read I will need to experiment with the prob placement but I am not sure why it makes any difference as long as it is in an area of 'mid' temp - e.g. 27-28 where the stat will be most accurate. Hopefully someone can clarify.

#16 ·
Ps - keep the CHE towards one end of the viv around the middle (front to back) rather than the middle of one side - otherwise you will likely end up with a smaller cooler area, hot area under CHE, then larger cooler area - by which time it may not be enough to be cool enough at the cold end and a pointless cooler spot at the wrong end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.