When to offer food after laying (royals) - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 05-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enS1ns View Post
Those numbers aren't too far off actually - 2200 grams at ovulation, 2100 grams pre lay shed, with a clutch weight of 705 grams - post lay weight of 1350 grams.

I suppose you just gotta remember that a book is written by "just" a person - sure that person might have a shed load of experience, but so do a lot of people that don't have books. In my short experience, I've learnt that there are very few factual rules to keeping/breeding, just peoples own methods, reasons, and opinions. No harm in doing things your own way, based on an informed decision
no i appreciate that, but i do value their opinion a lot more than the average person simply because they are far more qualified in the field than 99.9% of people, not to mention the shedloads of experience they've got(its written by two people in case you werent aware)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Posting Deity

I usually offer within a couple of days of laying.
They do sometimes have other ideas though, I had a couple decide not to eat until a week or so after the eggs hatched even though they were taken away and the snake and tub fully cleaned.

£125 PM for more details

Proven adult male het red axanthic royal, £40
Old 05-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhill View Post
I usually offer within a couple of days of laying.
They do sometimes have other ideas though, I had a couple decide not to eat until a week or so after the eggs hatched even though they were taken away and the snake and tub fully cleaned.
hmmm. Perhaps mine is looking for her eggs then, rather than food. Shes after something, i know that much. I have bathed her and cleaned her tub though. I shall find out tomrrow. Thanks for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enS1ns View Post
No reason, just how I've decided to do things. She's had 3 feeds since laying (1 small and two large), and I'm very pleased with how she looks. You say "if she wishes", but I reckon she'd eat every day if I let her - doesn't mean I'm going to. Her last feed was a medium rat, and she wont be offered another for 10-14 days.

But rather than answer a question that I didn't ask, do you have any thoughts as to how soon to feed after laying?
All i will say is that:

Who am i (or you/or anyone) to decide how often a female 'needs feeding after laying', as opposed to 'WANTS to be fed after laying'?
surely (if you put the animals needs first), it should be her who decides

Whether it be, the day after laying (i always offer the day after laying), or 6 weeks after laying
whether it be one rat/mouse a day/every 2 weeks/every month

They're all different, and no book or human can tell you what is/what is not correct

To finish off - I put my animals specific needs FIRST, and let them individually decide if they want rat number two (and/or three)

All i'm reading from your post is 'me', 'me', 'me' - There's absolutely nothing in there regarding your females needs/wants

I'm out

Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
All i will say is that:

Who am i (or you/or anyone) to decide how often a female 'needs feeding after laying', as opposed to 'WANTS to be fed after laying'?
surely (if you put the animals needs first), it's her who decides

Whether it be, the day after laying (i always offer the day after laying , or 6 weeks after laying
whether it be one rat/mouse a day/every 2 weeks/every month

They're all different, and no book or human can tell you what is/what is not correct

To finish off - I put my animals specific needs FIRST, and let them individually decide if they want rat number two (and/or three)

All i'm reading from your post is 'me', 'me', 'me' - There's absolutely nothing in there regarding your females needs/wants

I'm out
I'll tell you what - I'll put a bell in her vivarium. When she wants feeding, she can ring it. How's that?

Christ, you make out she'll drop dead of starvation or something. It's not a race, and I'm happy for her to put her weight back on at a gradual pace, rather than pile it all back on in a 2 months and be accused of powerfeeding.

Though it's interesting that you've jumped straight to criticising me, rather than answer the question that was asked by the OP. If I wanted any advice on feeding post lay, I would have posted a thread myself and asked for your contribution. But I didn't, so let's keep it on topic shall we.
tomboa01 likes this.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Forum Citizen

We always offer the day after our females lay. They'll get offered extra each feed for about 6 weeks, if they take it great, if not it'll get fed to another of our snakes
Se7enS1ns and RickDangerous like this.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 PM
5 Star Member

Angel, my regular breeder, tends to sulk for a couple of days after having her eggs removed (yes, I do wash her, clean etc) and as soon as her face re-appears she is ready to feed. She usually puts all of the weight back on before the eggs hatch-which is pretty good going. I'm waiting on this year's eggs but last year she lost over 1/3 of her body weight & was not looking in any way impressive. She has managed to get about 500g over her 2012 pre-lay weight this year, so I think that she is doing OK.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STSRoyals View Post
We always offer the day after our females lay. They'll get offered extra each feed for about 6 weeks, if they take it great, if not it'll get fed to another of our snakes
You can't say that, the all-knowing will insinuate that you're power-feeding!

Btw - Did she have time to ring the bell, before launching herself at rat No.2?
markhill and truncheon1973 like this.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
You can't say that, the all-knowing will insinuate that you're power-feeding!

Btw - Did she have time to ring the bell, before launching herself at rat No.2?
Thought you said you were out?!

I never implied I was all knowing (far, far from it) or insinuated your methods equated to powerfeeding. Whilst you have developed what you know now over the course of what I assume to be many seasons, I'm happy to do the same, and hone my experience in time.

As I said in my initial post - everyone has their own methods and opinions, and very few things are factual. You do things your way, I'll do things mine. Let's just leave it at that and call it a night shall we?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 PM
5 Star Member

I offer the next day, some females take it, some don't
If not, they get offered 1 week after laying and they deffo take

Offer normal meals straight away, e.g. 2 x lge multis
And put them back into routine they were on prior to fasting
Se7enS1ns likes this.