Dangerous Giants? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 15-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Super Citizen

A little naive, don't you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeblaster View Post
How dangerous are they really?

Well we already know then answer to that, there has never been a death from a large constrictor in this country. End of story really.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratenkutzombie View Post
Not really, flip the coin and are we better taught about husbandary? Than the rest of the world?
I think a lot of larger boids have a inbuilt bad reputation, back from the old WC days. Viv defensive retics? Don't have one, never met one.
There's a lot of theory an myths that stem from when they were WC, I think a captive bred burm, is a dopey snake. Even flighty ones!
Old 15-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffers3 View Post
Yet again, giant snakes have had some bad publicity. Like most, I have my own views on what happened in Canada, but let's hold back from that until the official verdicts have been released.

What I'd really like to get a feel for is how dangerous giant snakes really are - not how dangerous they can potentially be. We all know what they could do, but what do they actually do?

I have a few large snakes, including a burm, although he isn't fully grown yet. Nevertheless, he's very docile and will actually seek out human contact. I know it's just that I'm warm and comfortable to sit on, but he's very relaxed around me.

So, I've got no reports of attacks, close calls or even a misplaced feeding strike. So, has anyone else had any incidents worth talking about? I don't mean the odd nip, but something that was, or could have been, very serious.
You may have seen a draft of a new leaflet in preparation on this issue at the recent Kempton Park Show:

Federation of British Herpetologists Code of Practice
Responsible Keeping of Large Constrictors

Let me quote from on the issue of safety and perspective:

Safety implications

When considering keeping large constrictors safety of the keeper and the public is paramount but it is important to keep the risks in perspective. In the UK, for example, there are over 7,000,000 reptiles kept as pets, of which an estimated 200,000 are constrictors (pythons & boas), but there have been no deaths or serious (life threatening) injuries by large constrictors in the past 100 years. By contrast, sixteen people (mainly children) have been killed by pet dogs since 2005, with hundreds more seriously injured or maimed for life.

Accident and Emergency statistics show that reptiles are among the safest pets, with just 74 instances of injury logged in 2011-2012. During the same period there were 6,640 hospital admissions for dog bites and 2,738 bites from other mammals.
steve d, Uromastyxman and CharlieG like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Posting Deity
Reviews: 2

Quote:
No not at all.
Jack W and Jeffers3 like this.
Old 15-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Premier Citizen

anyone buying a large constrictor should of done a lot of homework previous to buying it, so they should know how dangerous it can or can`t be.
Old 15-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

I knew about the lack of deaths and, although I didn't have the stats to hand, I knew roughly what they were, but thanks to Terry and Chris for their posts.

How about close shaves? Have many people had near misses with large constrictors? It could be where they were taken by surprise, perhaps, or where they needed rescuing by others, perhaps? Bite injuries are nasty, but they're not really what I'm after here, but if you have any tales / pics etc, I like a bit of gore!!!

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
Old 15-08-2013, 12:28 PM
No Life Member

Yeah they have the potential to be dangerous. Just because no one in the UK has died doesnt take away the risk. People in other countries die every year from accidents with large captive constrictors. Only one person has died from a venomous snake bite in the UK in recent years doesnt mean they are not dangerous.

You need to be responsible with them and appreciate and manage the risks like with anything else in life.
Fangio, DavidR and bash_on_recce like this.
Old 15-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Premier Member
Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiUK View Post
Yeah they have the potential to be dangerous. Just because no one in the UK has died doesnt take away the risk. People in other countries die every year from accidents with large captive constrictors. Only one person has died from a venomous snake bite in the UK in recent years doesnt mean they are not dangerous.

You need to be responsible with them and appreciate and manage the risks like with anything else in life.
We know that. I said it in the original post on this thread! What I'm interested in is actual incidents, not what could happen......
steve d likes this.

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
Old 15-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to Ryanb0401

Quote:
The point of this thread is how dangerous they are on a day to day basis, not what they can potentially do. We all know how dangerous a 20ft snake could be if it took a turn for the worst, but how often does that ACTUALLY happen? Not often at all, as constrictors haven't killed anyone in the UK yet. I say yet, but I hope that it never happens.

Constrictors are dangerous. But the difference is the fact that anyone with a large constrictor shows it respect. They know the damage it can cause - even my 5 foot carpet python gets shown that respect. I know she could cause a lot of damage, should she take a bad turn.

People don't think like that with other animals, like dogs. I can't remember the last time I saw a dog and considered the fact that it could kill me if it wanted to.
steve d likes this.

Old 15-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Postaholic Member

I've kept to date over 100 adult retics,over 140 adult burms,14 adult rock pythons and near 30 adult green anacondas over a 25 year period,in all honesty I was only genuinely under threat on one occasion and that was from an 18.5ft wild retic,I'm not saying these animals don't have the potential obviously but if housed and kept correctly there really is only a very small risk and if kept correctly the risk would be to the keeper and only the keeper