is lavetera safe - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 20-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Regular
Default is lavetera safe

Hi we have a lavetera plant in our garden (not sure if spelling is correct) and i have got a big branchy thingy from the base and was hoping to clean it up with bleach and boiling water and put it in with my boa but was wondering if it is safe for him and does the condition if the wood matter
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-08-2013, 07:09 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon342 View Post
Hi we have a lavetera plant in our garden (not sure if spelling is correct) and i have got a big branchy thingy from the base and was hoping to clean it up with bleach and boiling water and put it in with my boa but was wondering if it is safe for him and does the condition if the wood matter
Thanks
The only thing i can find with remotely the same spelling is Lavatera, looks like this in flower

I'll be honest....i don't know if it would be safe/do the job...and with that in mind i would either be very cautious or not use at all

If you go and forage for wood though, just avoid softwoods/evergreen tree's (such as conifers).
Some people treat...i for one do not, i scrub/brush it down, give it a good check over for fungus, rot and the likes and leave to air dry thoroughly if wet before shoving it right on in...treating branches is merely personal preference when using a known safe wood that has been sourced responsibly and from a chemical free area

Crested Gecko's : Hobbyist Website : Careguide 101 : Available
Old 20-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimora View Post
The only thing i can find with remotely the same spelling is Lavatera, looks like this in flower

I'll be honest....i don't know if it would be safe/do the job...and with that in mind i would either be very cautious or not use at all

If you go and forage for wood though, just avoid softwoods/evergreen tree's (such as conifers).
Some people treat...i for one do not, i scrub/brush it down, give it a good check over for fungus, rot and the liked and leave to air dry thoroughly if wet before shoving it right on in...treating branches is merely personal preference when using a known safe wood that has been sourced responsibly and from a chemical free area
Thanks Yep that's the one but it's one of the thick branches from the bottom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-08-2013, 07:13 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon342 View Post
Thanks Yep that's the one but it's one of the thick branches from the bottom
See what others have to say about it, as someone else is bound to know alittle on shrubs...like i have said though, i'd either use with caution or not at all.

Crested Gecko's : Hobbyist Website : Careguide 101 : Available

Tags
boa , branches , lavetera , safe