Diamond Python - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Snakes

Old 16-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Forum Citizen
Default Diamond Python

What would be the smallest enclosure size for a new born. I dont want to build a whopper of an enclosure if I dont have to. I would think it still needs to be a decent size to get the heat gradients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Premier Citizen

Look at hatchling carpet python housing dimensions, perhaps....

Tom

Boiga 4 life.. just not this section of it!

Basefook: Boiga Hub
Old 16-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Gold Star Member

i put my Diamond hatchlings into the largest size faunarium for the first few months,then into 2x2x2ft viv's,then into 4x2x2ft viv's

a Diamond hatchling would most likely be ok in a 2x2x2ft viv,just give it plenty branches,fake plants,hides,etc

i used a small heat mat with the faunariums and light emmiting bulbs once into their first viv

i've also put non nervous feeding Carpet hatchlings straight into 4x2x2ft viv's with no issues

cheers shaun
Advertisement

Old 16-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Ultra Citizen

I think it depends on whether the hatchling is feeding or not. I keep mine in 9ltr rubs to start. Once its taken a few feeds you could think about moving it into a 2ft cube.
Old 16-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Premier Citizen

I just got this gal

Shes had a couple of feeds but isnt much bigger than a very young cornsnake. I had a 3x2 viv but to be honest i was worried about her fitting through the two panes of glass. I had a hatchling radiated ratsnake fit through once so i house her in an 18ltr rub for the time being. It seems massive with her in it.
Baldpoodle and stark like this.
Old 17-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim85 View Post
I just got this gal

Shes had a couple of feeds but isnt much bigger than a very young cornsnake. I had a 3x2 viv but to be honest i was worried about her fitting through the two panes of glass. I had a hatchling radiated ratsnake fit through once so i house her in an 18ltr rub for the time being. It seems massive with her in it.

^^^^^
good looking Diamond mate,is that one of Nicks Diamonds ? (mickmorelia)

i was amazed at how small Diamond hatchlings were when i first got mine,they grow very very slow compaired to other carpets

i only feed 6 months of the year and put them through their cooling cycle from their 2nd year onwards (night time lows of 50F for 4 months)

imo they are amazing snakes to keep

every shed they get better and better looking

cheers shaun
Old 17-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunyboy View Post
^^^^^
good looking Diamond mate,is that one of Nicks Diamonds ? (mickmorelia)

i was amazed at how small Diamond hatchlings were when i first got mine,they grow very very slow compaired to other carpets

i only feed 6 months of the year and put them through their cooling cycle from their 2nd year onwards (night time lows of 50F for 4 months)

imo they are amazing snakes to keep

every shed they get better and better looking

cheers shaun
Cheers shaun. Yeah its one of nicks.

I was taken back by their size aswell but also by how placid this girl is. Normally most other pythons at this size are completely defensive and snap happy. This girl is a softy already.

Im looking foward to seeing her develop. They are pretty cute at this size but also very dull compared to qhat they will look like as you all know. I just cant wait to get her in a viv so i can watch her a bit more. A few more feeds should make me 100% certain she cant squeeze through any gap.

Im still amazed at the price of these now. It wasnt long ago i was looking at them and it was impossible to find anyone that wouldnt sell a single snake not a pair and then it was 1000+ for a pair
Old 17-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Cheers shaun. Yeah its one of nicks.

I was taken back by their size aswell but also by how placid this girl is. Normally most other pythons at this size are completely defensive and snap happy. This girl is a softy already.

Im looking foward to seeing her develop. They are pretty cute at this size but also very dull compared to qhat they will look like as you all know. I just cant wait to get her in a viv so i can watch her a bit more. A few more feeds should make me 100% certain she cant squeeze through any gap.

Im still amazed at the price of these now. It wasnt long ago i was looking at them and it was impossible to find anyone that wouldnt sell a single snake not a pair and then it was 1000+ for a pair

i was really lucky back in 2008 and managed to buy a lone female for £750 plus £45 courier fee

my 2 x 2011 males cost 800 Euros for the 2 of them

2008 female hatchling

roughly 6 month later

cheers shaun
Old 17-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Premier Citizen

She looks great bud. I already cant wait to see the yellow tipping come through on mine. Do you keep them similar to other carpets for the time until their 2nd winter then?

Have you managed to breed them yourself yet?
I have no intention of breeding mine shes just a pet. The mrs doesnt realise that her viv will be away from the others and likely in our front room or bedroom so i can watch her more often. And also control the temperatures easier.
Old 17-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
She looks great bud. I already cant wait to see the yellow tipping come through on mine. Do you keep them similar to other carpets for the time until their 2nd winter then?

Have you managed to breed them yourself yet?
I have no intention of breeding mine shes just a pet. The mrs doesnt realise that her viv will be away from the others and likely in our front room or bedroom so i can watch her more often. And also control the temperatures easier.
their first year i kept them the same as my other carpets,after that they get a light emmiting bulb basking spot and 2.0 uvb,the length of time depends on which season it is

during cooling they get 2 to 4 hours basking spot and uvb,i set a heat mat at 50F just incase the temps drop too much at night

i to keep my Diamonds seperate from my other Carpets,so i can control their temps better

although both my males have pretty much had the same feeding regiem,1 male is almost twice the size of the other,so he will get a shot at my female early next year (after cooling)

cheers shaun

Tags
diamond python