Fairly controversial question - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 29-12-2013, 02:07 AM
Super Regular
Send a message via MSN to johnny_jb
Default Fairly controversial question

Hello Guys,

I've recently redecorated my flat, and I'd like to put up "entomology specimens" (i.e. those framed dead insects you see). - Although they're marketed as such, 99.99% of the time I agree they are not for the study of Entomology.
I'm a huge fan of invertebrates, and I think they'd make a great conversation piece - plus I admire the beauty of the micro-world.

However; (as almost oxymoronic this question is) Do any of you guys know of where I can get non-endangered and "ethically sourced" "specimens"?

Cheers,
John.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Hatchling

i dont know about getting hold of actual deceased insects and such, but tarantula molts look almost exactly like a tarantula and you could probably get hold of those and frame them quite easily
Old 29-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_jb View Post
Hello Guys,

I've recently redecorated my flat, and I'd like to put up "entomology specimens" (i.e. those framed dead insects you see). - Although they're marketed as such, 99.99% of the time I agree they are not for the study of Entomology.
I'm a huge fan of invertebrates, and I think they'd make a great conversation piece - plus I admire the beauty of the micro-world.

However; (as almost oxymoronic this question is) Do any of you guys know of where I can get non-endangered and "ethically sourced" "specimens"?

Cheers,
John.

Hi John,

It's not very controversial .

They are not my cup of coffee I must say, but I visited the Edinburgh Insect and Butterfly World. When I did, I saw the very thing you are speaking of. And a member of staff must have heard me having the discussion with a friend, as she came over and spent about 10mins explaining to me how these were "ethically sourced". So, assuming the staff there are not lying, it seems what you want is possible. I don't know where to get them specifically, but someone will offer suggestions.

Failing that you could always send an e mail to the above and ask what they advise.
Advertisement

Old 29-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Premier Citizen

I dont get when they say they are bred from "insect farms" wherever they come from. Just seems strange that they are breeding extrememly rare and unusual species which there is no info about breeding around that would be highly sought after alive.

My Flickr photo album
>click<
Old 29-12-2013, 01:58 PM

I'd suggest contacting the Amateur Entomologist Society:
Amateur Entomologists' Society (AES) - The gateway to entomology
daftlassieEmma likes this.

300-500 Tarantula, incl. L. parahybana, G. rosea, G. pulchra, A. geniculata, C. cyaneopubescens, P. cambridgei, P. irminia, P. pucher, C. fasciatum, H. robustum, H. sp. Pumpkin Patch, A. Guyana, A. Peru Purple, A. versicolor, B. boehmei, B. emelia, B. smithi, B. vagans, P. formosa, P. miranda, P. metallica, P. ornata, P. pederseni, P. regalis, P. rufilata, P. striata, P. subfusca, P. tigrinawesseli, L. violaceopes, H. incei
Old 29-12-2013, 03:40 PM
No Life Member

If you fancied it, another option could be to ask around keepers/breeders/zoos and see if anyone minded giving you dead specimens and set them up yourself.
Mr Mister likes this.
Old 29-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Forum Citizen

here bugsirect
also ebay have them

but im sure live is best
Euathlus sp."Red"Brachypelma albopilosumBrachypelma vagansPoecilotheria ornataPoecilotheria subfusca[/COLOR] (lowland),Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens,Poecilotheria formosaPoecilotheria regalisPoecilotheria vittata( pederseni)Heteroscodra maculataBrachypelma kahlenbergiPterinochilus species rcfHaplopelma lividumHysterocrates gigasHolothele inceiGrammostola porteriBrachypelma emiliabrachypelma angustumLasiodora parahybanaGrammostola pulchripes and more Heterometrus spinifer and a bosc monitor and a Mexican milk snake