Mould on coconut shel?? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 11-01-2014, 10:07 PM
Regular

The thing is it shouldn't be damp in their. I have chilean rose. But wasn't informed to dry the sub out. Hoping in about a week it will be dry. Just gets a bit of condensation in their at night which I guess is why the mould formed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Gold Star Member

Ah, my mistake then. If it's bone dry it'll be fine. A little condensation over night is fine as long as it disperses in the day
Old 11-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Regular

Thanks. So should I just clean it off then and hope it's fine once dried out?
snowgoose likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-01-2014, 12:58 AM
Regular

So I took it out and brushed it off as you said yesterday morning. And the white specs seem to have came back already!?! They only seem to be under where she is making her web? Could it be something to do with this?
Old 15-01-2014, 01:40 AM
Ultra Citizen

could be the other way around, meaning your spider is webbing over the 'mould',
Thing is, if its come back that fast its either very damp in the set up or you need more ventilation in there,
Try brushing the shell of again & sit it on a radiator for a while, ( few hours at least ).
Old 15-01-2014, 08:35 AM

Personally I'd just leave it to dry out, too much fuss is made of a little mould, you'll stress it out more by removing all the webbing that's placed over the shell.

300-500 Tarantula, incl. L. parahybana, G. rosea, G. pulchra, A. geniculata, C. cyaneopubescens, P. cambridgei, P. irminia, P. pucher, C. fasciatum, H. robustum, H. sp. Pumpkin Patch, A. Guyana, A. Peru Purple, A. versicolor, B. boehmei, B. emelia, B. smithi, B. vagans, P. formosa, P. miranda, P. metallica, P. ornata, P. pederseni, P. regalis, P. rufilata, P. striata, P. subfusca, P. tigrinawesseli, L. violaceopes, H. incei
Old 15-01-2014, 08:40 AM
No Life Member
Reviews: 8
Send a message via MSN to selina20 Send a message via Yahoo to selina20

Get some cleaner woodlice

Old 15-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Regular

To be honest I've just come into a bit of money do I'm just Gona get a whole new bigger setup over the next few days and do it properly this time. The shell was out if a box of 'spider bits' at the shop so I'm thinking maybe it was used before and had a problem back then? God knows but I'm Gona start again anyways. Dry it all out properly.
Old 15-01-2014, 12:19 PM

Its up to you but you really don't need to. Tarantula do not come from clean pristine habitats. Chile rose come from dry, arid areas where vegetation is low. They tend to burrow underneath rocks to gain a level of moisture and are subjected to daily morning dew rising off the sea that covers the mountainous regions where they live.
Temperatures range from 50-72F, it rarely gets any hotter than that, so they are perfect for keeping without heat mats. And they are great for very very very low maintenance, and sometimes extremely infrequent diet. Thankfully they are very robust and adaptable so fluctuations away from the norm don't cause too many issues.

300-500 Tarantula, incl. L. parahybana, G. rosea, G. pulchra, A. geniculata, C. cyaneopubescens, P. cambridgei, P. irminia, P. pucher, C. fasciatum, H. robustum, H. sp. Pumpkin Patch, A. Guyana, A. Peru Purple, A. versicolor, B. boehmei, B. emelia, B. smithi, B. vagans, P. formosa, P. miranda, P. metallica, P. ornata, P. pederseni, P. regalis, P. rufilata, P. striata, P. subfusca, P. tigrinawesseli, L. violaceopes, H. incei
Old 15-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Regular

Yeh I know I don't need to but the tank I have her in now is only a very cheap one with plastic lid with no lock lol. I want to get a nicer one with better curculation and a more secure lid I don't have to tape down lol. With a bit more room. A new fresh hide instead of a used one and fresh Dry substrate!

I've just put a couple crickets in for her. A couple of the small ones from a box of large. Am I ok to leave these while I go to work? And take them out if need be when I get back at 10 tonight?

Tags
mould