whats your fascination with inverts?i dont like them but why do you? - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 13-01-2014, 01:36 AM
FrozenReptile

For me, when you keep a reptile they tend to tame down and adapt to captivity. When you keep a lot of inverts (particularly the species I focus on) they don't really do that, they retain very natural behaviours and habits (such as their feeding habbits, their aggression, their burrowing or webbing habits, all their natural behaviours really). This means you can have a truly wild creature in a set up in your room.

Another appeal is the ammount of space they take up, I keep a lot of smaller scorpion species and I can keep lots of species in a small space, compared to say a snake needing a 3-4ft viv.
SublimeSparo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2014, 03:03 AM
Super Citizen

what are some of the smaller scorpion species by the way?
I'm thinking about delving into them but don't want something that grows massive!
Old 13-01-2014, 04:19 AM
FrozenReptile

Try a colony of Vaejovis sp. If you look in europe you should be able to pick them up relatively cheaply. Alternatively Euscorpius are very cool.

Sadly the DWA legislation prevents us from keeping some interesting species, of the 660 or so that are classified, 50-60 should realistically be on there. Case in point, Centruroides vivattus is recommended as a beginners species in the US (ok it might give you a swollen hand/arm but nothing compared to a pokie or Scolopendra) but its legislated here.
lycanlord20 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-01-2014, 04:22 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenReptile View Post
Try a colony of Vaejovis sp. If you look in europe you should be able to pick them up relatively cheaply. Alternatively Euscorpius are very cool.

Sadly the DWA legislation prevents us from keeping some interesting species, of the 660 or so that are classified, 50-60 should realistically be on there. Case in point, Centruroides vivattus is recommended as a beginners species in the US (ok it might give you a swollen hand/arm but nothing compared to a pokie or Scolopendra) but its legislated here.
Cheers will have a look

That's a shame that so many of them are DWA, wouldnt expect most of them to be able to survive long outside their enclosure in the uk so i wouldnt of thought they'd be much threat to other people!
Old 17-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Forum Citizen

I have a mixture of reptiles, amphibians and inverts and they are all interesting in their own way. Just got into giant stickies and love them.
Sun beetles. Bumblebee Millipedes.
Green Anole: Hulk. Palm Geckos: Indie and Tango.
Horsfield Tortoise: Terry. 2 Musk turtles: Mork and Mindy. 2 Dogs: Rolo and Rosie.
4 Rabbits: Bouncer and Pumkin, Chalkie, Poppy.
2 Guinea Pigs: Merlin and Marlow. Cats: Duke and Fiana.
Old 27-01-2014, 03:11 AM
Super Regular

Why does anyone like anything? The answer is because they like it. Some people think I'm strange because I keep Tarantulas and Hamsters and I play the Irish Tin Whistle. No, I don't feed the Hamsters to the Tarantulas.
Old 27-01-2014, 04:00 AM
Super Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideypidey View Post
I play the Irish Tin Whistle.
A lost art these days, unfortunately
My Zoo: 1.0 Royal Python -- 0.1 Bibron's gecko -- 3.1 Leopard Geckos -- 1.0 Bearded Dragon -- 0.1 Everglades Rat Snake -- 1.0 Cornsnake -- 0.0.1 Thayer's Kingsnake -- 2.0 Western Hognose -- 1.0 Albino Nelson's Milksnake -- 0.2 YBS -- 0.0.4 House Geckos -- 0.1 Chinese Water Dragon -- 0.0.1 Musk Turtle -- 2.2 Hissing Cockroaches -- 1.2.4 GALS -- 0.0.1 Pandinus Cavimanus -- 0.0.1 Tail-less Whip Scorpion -- 0.0.1 Giant African Millipede -- 1.0 Scalopendra subispines

DWA Species: 0.1 Spectacled Caiman -- 0.0.1 Hottentotta Jayakari
Old 27-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Regular

You can keep a massive variety in a relatively small space, and in general seeing a Chromatopelma construct elaborate homes of silk is always something I've found a bit more interesting than a royal shitting in it's water bowl
Veyron likes this.
Old 28-01-2014, 05:11 PM
No Life Member
Reviews: 8
Send a message via MSN to selina20 Send a message via Yahoo to selina20

Get more sense out of them than most humans

Old 28-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Super Regular

There are other things like Dubia Roaches equally fascnating particularly if you have a colony and a gourmet meal for Tarantulas. I sometimes think I look after my Roaches better than my Tarantulas.

Easy to keep: Large Faunarium with some bran on the bottom and some egg cartons, some method of increasing humidity like a wet sponge, heat mat underneath and away you go. Oh yeah you'll need some roaches too.

Tags
insects and spiders