Reptile Forums banner

falsewidow

951 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Curious jay 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I caught what i think is false widow spider. Im going to give him a home, now what type of enclosure will he need?

An arboreal or terrestial setup?

I will try post some pics soon

#2 ·
anything is the real answer, they are found everywhere, but they'll love the warmth of your home - careful they breed easily and they'll eat food several times larger than themselves.

they're not particularly interesting web wise, a cricket tub would be fine, put a few sticks in there for it to latch its webbing onto, but any set-up would be fine.

Reactions: selina20
#4 ·
I've had my big one for over a year now, so other than that not sure how long they live : victory:
As for enclosure, pretty much as poxicator said, just thought I'd add, they don't seem to like water very much at all so I make sure to only spray one side of the pot every 3-4 days. Also they munch ANYTHING lol, the one that I have will eat any crickets that my pedes don't eat.

#6 ·
Personally I keep my in an arboreal setup I have abit of coco fibre at the bottom with twigs propped up right and it makes webs across all of the sticks.

I keep it like that because its a comb footed spider relative to the widow, and live in a similar manner where it hangs upside down from the web :Na_Na_Na_Na:

#8 · (Edited)
took awhile to get my camera back but here are the pictures of my set up :)

as you can see likes the height and i never see it on the floor unless food is there :)

as for the webs you cant say they aren't interesting just they will only make webs up high and you can't really see the webs in that photo but you can when a torch is put on top so here:2thumb:

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: Poxicator
#9 ·
I'm finding more and more of these in my house.
a good way to see the web is using a sprayer

Nice pix

#11 ·
Great spiders, hate what the media is doing to their reputation.

I keep mine in 16oz delis with a fine layer of sub and a fake leaf/some twigs.

You could give it a completely bare enclosure, these guys are extremely adaptable ( I have an immature male I've raised from sling in a bare oversized vial).

Lifespan can be up to 3-5 years with these depending on the temps you keep them at and how often you feed (I usually space my true spider feeding to once every two weeks to get a decent lifespan from them).

As said they will attack prey much large than them as they secure the prey with webbing before going in with the bite.

If you've got an adult female its likely to have mated at some point and will produce sac after sac for you.

They're very water efficient, I don't actually offer any water at all for these guys wether its a quick spray or whatever. Get their moisture solely from their food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.