Reptile Forums banner

Scolopendra dehaani mating attempt.

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  SilverSky 
#1 ·
I didn't sex the injured S. dehaani that I have, but when I poked the terminal legs to get it to move out of the way earlier, it started acting as I've read that males do when they're mating, so I decided to put it in a spare tank with a female that was sexed a while ago. Once they were in together, they showed interest in each other, ended up tangled up a bit, and then the female started following the injured centipede. The went between a brick and the side of the tank, then the injured centipede started spinning a web, confirming my suspicions that it was a male. This went on for 45 minutes or so, before he deposited the sperm packet, then the female walked over it and picked it up. There's some pictures of the web below, with what remains of the sperm packet. This looks to have been a successful mating attempt, both centipedes are back in their enclosures.

See less See more
#3 ·
Cheers.

Yeah, they can be gits, lol.

I have tried these two together before, but the female seemed a bit aggressive. I've tried her with another centipede that looks to be male, on a few occasions, but had no joy with them, she was doing what she was meant to, but he wasn't interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.