Experiences/Opinions on this selection of T's - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 30-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Premier Citizen

Have all of them.

If I had to pick just three....

A geniculata - look striking with the sexy stripey socks, eat like mad, get to impressive sizes, very easy to keep and although they can be a bit moody, along with the hairs being horrible, they just look brilliant and tend to be out and about.

E sp Red or Yellow - utter little cute things, skipping past the arguments about handling (as everyone has differing opinions) these two will just walk out of the box/tank and onto you quite merrily. Stupidly docile, never in a rush to go anywhere.

Now the choice of Avic versi vs C cyaneopubescens is a bit harder to make. Both look great, both can be quick off the mark when they want to move. Avic's *can* be more of a chore to raise from slings, which I didn't find with C cyan's. My A versi spends most of it's time down a web tube, my C cyan just filled a jar with web - so you couldn't really see a lot of either. Of the two, personally, I'd go with the GBB simply because I think they're a bit hardier and easier to raise.

Outside contender for me would always be B albop's, they're great eaters, grow at a nice pace, tough as old boots and pretty easy going - though my old male can not half move when he want's to grab a bug! For the price on them, either as slings or juveniles, if you're buying feeder bugs for 3 spiders then adding a B albop for the low price they sell at isn't going to be any issue.

Old 30-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Premier Citizen

I only own the C.Cyaneopubescens so can only comment on this. I am a novice when it come to keeping T's we got our first just under a year ago and a few months later I bought some more including the C.Cyaneopubescens. It was a 1-2cm sling so pretty small. It was easy to transfer to the container from the pot it arrived in. Very calm, probably shaken by its journey in the post but he was fine. It is extremely quick or should I say can be. I have got to know its ways now though. I know what to expect and how it will react to me opening the tub it is in. I know where to place his food to benefit both him and me. In that I mean I know to place his food in his web furthest away from him. I am not looking forward to transferring him in to his new tub when he next molts but the bath will certainly come in handy for this

I have gained so much watching him create his webs that the speediness of him is just a minor inconvenience and his colours are now staring to show even more. They really are beautiful looking T's that are well worth owning.
G. Pulchripes , C. Cyaneopubescens, B. Vagans, B. Albopilosum, B. boehmei, L. parahybana, P. Lugardi, E. Pachypus, G. Rosea.
4 Achatina Fulica (Giant African Land Snails)

Border collie x, 2 Cats, 17 Goldfish.
Fed up with being called mate and he . I am a lady, so play nice
Old 01-07-2014, 02:48 AM
Regular

Thank you to all who've given the time to post in this thread.

An update from me.

I've settled on L.parahybana, g.pulchra & c.cyaneopubescens for now. Will be getting them later this week. It's T time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 03:13 AM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoryMaw View Post
Hello all! I'm going to be taking my first steps into the world of T keeping soon, and while this isn't a "Adooiiiii, wut spidrer beginrer" post, I would like to hear about your own experiences with certain T's. I'll be getting three (because hell, who can pick just one!?), and I've whittled my choices down to a small selection.

So I'll list those I'm interested in, my understanding of what their pro's are, and if I've gotten anything spectacularly wrong then please set me straight.

Grammostola Pulchra
*Big, Black & Beautiful, Relatively Slow/Docile

Brachypelma Albopilosum
*Relatively Slow/Docile

Euathlus sp
*Relatively Slow/Docile

Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens
*Beautiful, Webbage!
**I believe this one is, unfortunately, fast/skittish

Clash of the titans!
I'm hoping that one of the three T's I get will be a large display spider.

Acanthoscurria Geniculata
*Big, Beautiful, Hungry!

Vs.

Lasiodora Parahybana
*Bigger! Hungrier!
I have a Grammostola rosea, I prefer this because of the red color, lovely T's though great for begginers, same with the Brachypelma Albopilosum this was my first tarantula infact brilliant T's once agian.
I have 0 expeirence with Euathlus sp so can't comment on that.
But the Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens is one of my favorite T's beautiful I can't wait to get one myself.

I own both Acanthoscurria Geniculata and Lasiodora Parahybana, for me if I could only own one, be the first one simply because I do prefer their colors but both make great pets.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam peel View Post
I have a Grammostola rosea, I prefer this because of the red color, lovely T's though great for begginers
Rosey's are a mixed bag, peoples opinions obviously differ, but I'd never recommend that anyone trusts one further than they could comfortably spit it.
Some are as docile as baby lambs. some are more insane than many OW T's. But beyond that, they can change temperament between moults in quite extreme ways. I'd trust a B albop far further than any Rosey. I've got some Rosey grown-on slings and they're okay, my last adult Female was mental.
For the similar in the genus, G sp North or G sp Maule seem a lot more predicable imho and G sp Maule just looks great like a fluffy bright golden teddy bear.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxofsorrows View Post
Rosey's are a mixed bag, peoples opinions obviously differ, but I'd never recommend that anyone trusts one further than they could comfortably spit it.
Some are as docile as baby lambs. some are more insane than many OW T's. But beyond that, they can change temperament between moults in quite extreme ways. I'd trust a B albop far further than any Rosey. I've got some Rosey grown-on slings and they're okay, my last adult Female was mental.
For the similar in the genus, G sp North or G sp Maule seem a lot more predicable imho and G sp Maule just looks great like a fluffy bright golden teddy bear.
absolutely spot on, there- exactly what i was about to say if you hadn't beaten me to it!
boxofsorrows likes this.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
absolutely spot on, there- exactly what i was about to say if you hadn't beaten me to it!
Out of my grown on slings, a couple just sit like rocks, but one is always up at the lid and out as soon as I open the top, sick of chasing it around my hands/arms/kitchen bench every feeding time!
Last MM I had, he was okay and very laid back, but the last adult female, she was a sour hag that wanted to kill everything that came near her.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxofsorrows View Post
Out of my grown on slings, a couple just sit like rocks, but one is always up at the lid and out as soon as I open the top, sick of chasing it around my hands/arms/kitchen bench every feeding time!
Last MM I had, he was okay and very laid back, but the last adult female, she was a sour hag that wanted to kill everything that came near her.
i find it weird that even single individual rosy's change like the wind, often from day to day- the one that was happy to let you pick it up yesterday, as often as not will try to chew your fingers off if you try it again today. at least with other species, they're either docile most of the time or nasty most of the time!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
i find it weird that even single individual rosy's change like the wind, often from day to day- the one that was happy to let you pick it up yesterday, as often as not will try to chew your fingers off if you try it again today. at least with other species, they're either docile most of the time or nasty most of the time!
This is why I like E sp Red/Yellow/Montane so much, at least they're predictably "happy" to see you
Old 11-07-2014, 12:55 AM
Hatchling
Default ..

If i was as lucky as you to own a T' I'd get three Grammostola Pulchra whatever you do choose though all the best
johndavidwoods likes this.

Tags
tarantula