Pterinochilus lugardi & Eurcratosclus Pachypus advice. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 26-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Premier Citizen
Default Pterinochilus lugardi & Eurcratosclus Pachypus advice.

I am expecting delivery of a female 3-4 year old Pterinochilus lugardi (fort hall baboon) and a juvenile Eurcratosclus Pachypus (stout leg baboon).

Now obviously I have read numerous care sheets regarding the two species but in my opinion you can not beat advice from those that have previously or currently keep these species.
So fire away please with any advice or experiences you have had with them
Basin79 likes this.
G. Pulchripes , C. Cyaneopubescens, B. Vagans, B. Albopilosum, B. boehmei, L. parahybana, P. Lugardi, E. Pachypus, G. Rosea.
4 Achatina Fulica (Giant African Land Snails)

Border collie x, 2 Cats, 17 Goldfish.
Fed up with being called mate and he . I am a lady, so play nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Premier Citizen

I keep my lugardi the same way I keep my obt's, pretty much just chucked in a box and left to its own devices. It's got a fairly deep burrow, I only ever see it once in a while when there's food on the go. Hasn't thrown web everywhere the way obt's tend to and seems a lot more reclusive.
Old 26-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Premier Citizen

Thanks for replying. I have read that with deep substrate they dig a burrow and will hardly be seen. From what I understand if you don't provide the deep substrate they will web the entire enclosure. Do you keep yours completely dry? It would seem some advise dry while others say at least 70% humidity. Don't see why they would need humidity that high I would have thought normal room humidity would be fine
G. Pulchripes , C. Cyaneopubescens, B. Vagans, B. Albopilosum, B. boehmei, L. parahybana, P. Lugardi, E. Pachypus, G. Rosea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red123 View Post
It would seem some advise dry while others say at least 70% humidity. Don't see why they would need humidity that high I would have thought normal room humidity would be fine
Most caresheets on the internet are rubbish so i would ignore them.

Ambient room humidity in the UK is fine for 99% of all tarantulas including all of the African 'baboon' species.
Old 27-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Banned

Lugardi keep like obt as said above, and pachypus which is a fantastic specie btw I have kept slightly only slightly moist with the top layer dry as a bone I love them had one now for 2 years

Also like Peter says most online caresheets are wank, better to speak to keepers that have experience with the species which you have done so great.
Red123 likes this.
Old 27-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Premier Citizen

Well they both arrived today.

The E. Pachypus is rather sweet if a tarantula can be sweet. I have read that only the females have the thickened back legs is there any truth in this?

The P. Lugardi is pretty jumpy and incredibley quick. The T itself looks in good condition but the tub it came in looks a little odd. The substrate gives the appearance of being very wet. Shiny on top of the substrate. As do some of the artificial leaves in the tub. The person I bought her from said that it's not wet and that it is the masses of webbing that she has produced over time. Could this be true? I don't know what the substrate actually is but it looks almost black if that's any help. Its not soil and its not coco fibre. There is no condensation on the sides of the tub.

Thanks

Old 27-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Banned

Yes Pachypus female have thick fluffy rear legs, and you should post a pic up of the lugardi enclosure
Old 27-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Premier Citizen

The Lugardi and the tub that it has arrived in showing what looks like wet soggy substrate.

And had to include the little Pachypus

I know the pics are not very clear but its the best I can provide at the moment.

Old 28-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Premier Citizen

After spending the night in the tarantula vivarium heated to 24c - 25c the lugardi has condensation on 3 sides and slight misting up on the lid. So I guess the look of being wet is actually heavy moisture. I guess she needs rehousing . Will have to order a tub for her.