Who keeps scorps? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 17-11-2015, 05:34 AM
Premier Citizen
Default Who keeps scorps?

…because if so I have a question. I keep spiders and stuff, and there’s a species of scorp that I like, care seems very easy(a desert species). It’s just what to put it in. I have an acrylic oblong tank that would be cool but there is no lid. I know they can’t scale such smooth surfaces so could I do without a lid, would it matter? Or I have a less interesting Perspex box that measures
SIZE 24CM L X 14CM W X 10.5CM H
Advertisement

Old 17-11-2015, 08:47 AM
Ultra Citizen
Default Scorp

How is the acrylic container sealed on the inside ? If the weld is slightly rough the scorp will get a foothold , if it is silicone sealed they can get a foothold on that as well . Although you may not be using a lid don't forget to put ventilation holes just above the substrate , high sided containers build up carbon dioxide at the bottom ,pushing the oxygen further up the container eventually suffocating the occupant . Can you not get a piece of clear acrylic to make a lid .
Mr Mister likes this.
Old 17-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazzer View Post
How is the acrylic container sealed on the inside ? If the weld is slightly rough the scorp will get a foothold , if it is silicone sealed they can get a foothold on that as well . Although you may not be using a lid don't forget to put ventilation holes just above the substrate , high sided containers build up carbon dioxide at the bottom ,pushing the oxygen further up the container eventually suffocating the occupant . Can you not get a piece of clear acrylic to make a lid .

Good point. I might try to bash together some sort of lid thing.
Advertisement

Old 17-11-2015, 10:57 PM
Premier Citizen

Height is 4 1/4 inches ?

Dont forget to take away the substrate depth and also that a scorpion can lever itself up on its tail to its full length.

So add up the substrate depth and the total length of the scorpion including tail and claws then add 50% of the two to get the minimum height of the tank without a lid

ie.
substrate depth. . . 2 inches
scorpion length . . . .3 inches

2+3 = 5 + 2.5 = 7.5 inches minimum height if tub has no lid
Mr Mister likes this.
Old 18-11-2015, 06:27 AM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterUK View Post
Height is 4 1/4 inches ?

Dont forget to take away the substrate depth and also that a scorpion can lever itself up on its tail to its full length.

So add up the substrate depth and the total length of the scorpion including tail and claws then add 50% of the two to get the minimum height of the tank without a lid

ie.
substrate depth. . . 2 inches
scorpion length . . . .3 inches

2+3 = 5 + 2.5 = 7.5 inches minimum height if tub has no lid

I bloody well dropped the tank tonight and now one panel is cracked - so that seems out of the game now anyway.

The tank was about 16-17inches long, maybe 10inches high and ten across. These figures are just rough guesses.

I do have a cube that I got out of House of Spiders. It's about ten inch square with a lid. I guess I could use that.

Or I could get this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TARANTULA-SCORPION-INSECT-REPTILE-ENCLOSURE-VIVARIUM-TANK-CAGE-/171456013578?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368