Cardinal spider web formation - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 25-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Ultra Citizen
Default Cardinal spider web formation

Hi everyone,

My small cardinal spider has been constructing a web for the past few days. It has made a strange part with soil covering it but I don't know why. Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

VEGANISM IS A LIE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Super Regular

If I had to guess I'd say egg sack.
FishForLife2001 likes this.
Old 27-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Regular

I've had a lot of them in the past that I've kept and bred. It is an egg sac, whenever I have had one lay an egg sac it always covers it in whatever it can find, from substrate to even using pieces of it's own shed. When I looked it up online I found that they do it to hide the egg sac from any predators.

Just to let you know as well, even if you haven't bred the spider, they are parthenogenic (Think that's how it's spelt) and so the sac may still have eggs that will hatch (Don't want the little critters sneaking out one night which is how I found out they were partho's)

0.1.2 Tegenaria duellica - Webster and Webby 1.1.0 Steatoda nobilis - McSpinner and spinerette
0.0.4 Orfe - Elphaba and the gang 0.0.1 Goldfish - Terry
0.0.1 Bristle nose plec - Chuck II 0.0.1 Bristle nose plec - Chuck
1.2.8 Smagdethnes africana oertzeni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Ultra Citizen

Thanks for the replies all.

Can they reproduce at such a small size though? She is only around an inch in length including legs.

Can I ask what enclosure size you kept adults in, biggest size and diet? I have been basing my research on tarantulas because there are no caresheets for natives online.

VEGANISM IS A LIE
Old 27-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Regular

I've had them reproduce at that size before but usually the eggs are less viable at the smaller size.

I usually used an old live food pot for smaller ones and then at about an inch and a half leg span, I up'ed them to a plastic faunarium that was about 25x20x20cm they don't really need much space just somewhere to make their tubular retreat (usually in a corner) and then having the sheet web coming out of that.

Food wise I used fruit flies for the spiderlings then up to crickets which I changed depending on the size of the spider. Managed to keep a few generations like that. Currently though I'm using dubia roaches but that's just because I have the colony set up.

They can take on food that's about twice their body size and they are fearless when they want to eat.

0.1.2 Tegenaria duellica - Webster and Webby 1.1.0 Steatoda nobilis - McSpinner and spinerette
Old 27-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Ultra Citizen

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply!

A couple more questions if you don't mind-

Is a basic setup with moist soil, bark and moss OK or do they have particular needs (climbing etc)?

Is a spiderling the new born spider?

VEGANISM IS A LIE
Old 01-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Regular

No problems glad I could help

As for substrate I tend to use just a straight up coco fibre which can be completely dry. They get every bit of water they need from the food they eat so I don't even spray them. On the coco fibre I tend to put a few bits of slate chippings and some dried out leaves from the forest around the corner from me (usually oak). with this I then cut up a small plastic plant pot to act as a hide where it can makes its tubular retreat in.

I have also kept some without any substrate (as part of an experiment at uni) and they also do fine with that. In the wild their webs tend to be off the floor anyway and away from substrate. The only real difference with these ones was that when they laid the egg sacks they had no dirt to cover them in and just used bits of old sheds and bits of eaten insects.

Yeah the spiderlings are the small babies and I usually call them a spiderling until they are about a centimetre in leg span although there is probably a time when they stop being spiderling after a certain amount of sheds.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Ultra Citizen

Thanks again for the help. She is in her new setup, and is doing well. I have fed her a locust and a mealworm so far which have been eaten.

Her egg sack was moved too but she is ignoring it. I will leave it to see if it hatches though.

PurpleHeyze and Basin79 like this.

VEGANISM IS A LIE
Old 07-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Regular

The setup looks awesome

I've always tended to take the eggsac out to hatch it in a small pot. With it being in the new tank she may not think its hers and I don't know if she will predate the spiderlings?

Also don't know how big the ventilation slits are but the spiderlings are very adept climbers and will escape (another thing I leart the hard way haha). Judging from the size on the screen I'd reckon the spiderlings could fit through but I could be wrong.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:48 PM
Ultra Citizen

Thanks

I had thought of hatching it separately because you are right, baby spiders wouldn't have a problem escaping from it.

She has made another egg sac now, so she has definitely forgot the old one. How do you hatch them separately, on moist paper or something?

VEGANISM IS A LIE