Help my spider has a disese :-( - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 06-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Hatchling
Default Help my spider has a disese :-(

I wonder if someone on here might know what is causing this? She's a Lampropelma Violeceopes. Bought at the BTS national this year as a sexed Juvenile. She's in a large arboreal tank and lives happily down the bottom of a large cork tube, heat and humidity are kept to recommended levels. It looks like some sort of disease? There's black bobbles like coal on her abdomen and hair loss all over. She's been like this for a few months now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinm View Post
I wonder if someone on here might know what is causing this? She's a Lampropelma Violeceopes. Bought at the BTS national this year as a sexed Juvenile. She's in a large arboreal tank and lives happily down the bottom of a large cork tube, heat and humidity are kept to recommended levels. It looks like some sort of disease? There's black bobbles like coal on her abdomen and hair loss all over. She's been like this for a few months now.

Can't help sorry. Are you sure the sub at the bottom of the tube isn't sodden? Her abdomen looks wet. Or is it dry? She could just becoming up to a molt. T's often become a bit grubby before getting a new set of clothes.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:00 PM
Premier Citizen

Are there mites?
Bruce185 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Hatchling

I haven't seen any mites, the tank is not soaking, just moist substrate and a modicum of humidity.

The poor girl doesn't ever show herself in the light of day and I was lucky to get that pic, it was the first time I'd seen her for about three months.

I can shine a torch down the tube and see she's still moving about etc. so I knew not to disturb her further.

It does seem this is a real mystery then, obviously not a common ailment, I've had T's for 30 years and have never had an ill one before.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:56 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basin79 View Post
Can't help sorry. Are you sure the sub at the bottom of the tube isn't sodden? Her abdomen looks wet. Or is it dry? She could just becoming up to a molt. T's often become a bit grubby before getting a new set of clothes.

The black bobbles are dry and stick up from the skin some way, look just like coal!

I've seen some fading of colours before in other T's and some balding etc. before a moult but nothing for months on end like this!
Old 07-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
The black bobbles are dry and stick up from the skin some way, look just like coal!

I've seen some fading of colours before in other T's and some balding etc. before a moult but nothing for months on end like this!
If it's definitely not sub that's really weird.

I've posted it on Arachnoboards for you so fingers crossed you'll have an answer shortly.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Postaholic Member

Going to need a better pic of the abdomen. If need be take a pic down the cork bark.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Premier Citizen

Quote:
I haven't seen any mites, the tank is not soaking, just moist substrate and a modicum of humidity.

The poor girl doesn't ever show herself in the light of day and I was lucky to get that pic, it was the first time I'd seen her for about three months.

I can shine a torch down the tube and see she's still moving about etc. so I knew not to disturb her further.

It does seem this is a real mystery then, obviously not a common ailment, I've had T's for 30 years and have never had an ill one before.

Didn't you say she seems healthy though?

Also. 'doesn't ever show herself in the light of day'. Why is that a worry?
PeterUK likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Postaholic Member

The concensus, from that pic is that it's just sub stuck to it's abdomen and like I typed in a previous post T's can lose hair and look grubby in between sheds.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:42 PM
Premier Citizen

Maybe he's been micro managing it too much. Spiders "thrive on neglect", apart from some water and the odd cricket
PeterUK likes this.

Tags
disease , lampropelma , spider , violaceopes