Feeding Tarantulas Mice? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 16-04-2017, 07:07 PM
Super Citizen
Default Feeding Tarantulas Mice?

So I've been reading one of my books on Tarantulas (Tarantulas & Scorpions in Captivity - Russ Gurley) and it mentions several times about feeding the occasional pinky to certain species of adult Tarantula or to adult females in preperation for breeding.

I haven't really heard much about pinkies being fed to Tarantulas, apart from the occasional YouTube video (and YouTube isn't always the perfect place for an accurate care guide...)

Do any of you guys feed your T's pinkies, or something similar? What are your thoughts on it?

Old 16-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Premier Citizen

There is nothing wrong with it but IMHO it is a pointless exercise as insects can and do provide a nutritional balanced diet (and insects are much cheaper.

The main reason why i dont is the aftermath of putrid food bolas that will stink the house out and attract Phorid flies if not immediately removed.

Im lazy in that i open the tub and drop in varying amounts of red runner cockroaches and then forget them. No need to worry about of the spider is in premoult etc if the RR are still there in 2-4 weeks later when i check then they are removed and the spider is not fed for several weeks/months or until it moults.
This is something that i couldnt do if i fed the spider rodents
Old 16-04-2017, 11:07 PM
Postaholic Member

Certainly won't do anything harm. I fed my adult Theraphosa Stirmi a fish once. Took her over 24hrs to eat it and then was right for ages.

Inventor, PeterUK and Addymk2 like this.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterUK View Post
There is nothing wrong with it but IMHO it is a pointless exercise as insects can and do provide a nutritional balanced diet (and insects are much cheaper.

The main reason why i dont is the aftermath of putrid food bolas that will stink the house out and attract Phorid flies if not immediately removed...
Yeah, that's a fair point haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basin79 View Post
Certainly won't do anything harm. I fed my adult Theraphosa Stirmi a fish once. Took her over 24hrs to eat it and then was right for ages.
Very cool photos!
Old 17-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Forum Citizen

My T's never touched anything that wasn't alive, I never actually tried but I wouldn't want to tbh for reasons stated. I want a nice easy job feeding and cleaning up
wilkinss77 and EffyDaydream like this.
Old 17-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickone View Post
My T's never touched anything that wasn't alive, I never actually tried but I wouldn't want to tbh for reasons stated. I want a nice easy job feeding and cleaning up
This.
EffyDaydream likes this.
Old 20-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basin79 View Post

What amazes me there is that the bones and everything are gone. Not just the meat, just a sack of scales left at the end!
Basin79 likes this.
Old 20-04-2017, 08:55 AM
Ultra Citizen

Some of the 'old timers' may remember the name Robert Bustard?

I know he used to feed his Tarantulas mice on a fairly regular basis and his grew to fairly sizable proportions.
-----------------------------------------------------------
European Studbook Foundation
www.studbooks.eu
UK Coordinator & Studbook keeper for the Smaug giganteus & Ouroborus cataphractus

CAVEAT: any opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences and observations - whether you agree or disagree with them is up to you!!

IMPORTANT: if the health of your animal is giving you cause for concern, absolutely seek a second opinion from fellow forum members - your first opinion however should be that of a suitably qualified veterinarian!!

EXPECTED 2020: SNAKES: Angolan, Sumatran and Royal Pythons
Old 20-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addymk2 View Post
What amazes me there is that the bones and everything are gone. Not just the meat, just a sack of scales left at the end!
Yeah me too.
How are they able to eat, break down bones, especially the fish? Not the easiest of things to eat I wouldn't have thought... especially with only two fangs? Are the inner mouth parts only soft tissue?
Do you feed live rodents (not for me, I might add) or dead thawed food?
Old 20-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne.ev View Post
Yeah me too.
How are they able to eat, break down bones, especially the fish? Not the easiest of things to eat I wouldn't have thought... especially with only two fangs? Are the inner mouth parts only soft tissue?
Do you feed live rodents (not for me, I might add) or dead thawed food?
There is absolutely no need to feed live vertebrates.
wilkinss77 likes this.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.

Tags
live food , tarantulas