'Hoppers' (Shistocerca gregaria?) - some advice? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts
Register RFUK Articles Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Old 22-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Egg
Default 'Hoppers' (Shistocerca gregaria?) - some advice?

Hi all

Firstly sorry if this is the wrong board, but it seemed ideal (inverts AND spiders who eat the food as prey!)

I had the bright idea to get a glass tall fish tank and put some prey food in it (I went with 3rd 'Hoppers' which I believe from some Googling means I have Shistocerca Gregaria) to be pets, as they looked like they would be interesting to watch due to their size and patterning when full grown, plus I could watch them grow from 3rds. I did do some reading on the internet but perhaps not enough to feel fully in control, hence this post.

I covered a few gaps in the lid with electrical tape (a couple of layers) so there are no gaps anywhere, put some paper towels, sticks and moist grass/veg in and left them to it. I woke up with concerns which I hope you can allay.

Are they likely to chew through the tape, or will they contently sit in the safety of the tank? I'm wondering whether to add more layers of tape or take other steps.

I intend to take the paper and sticks out each week (with food removal more regularly) to prevent babies, will changing the paper and giving the sticks a rub to dislodge eggs be enough? I think the eggs hatch after a few weeks, so I figure once a week will stop any babies.

If they did get out I know they pose no threat to me through biting etc..., and I imagine they would steer clear of the guinea pigs who share the attic with them (or at least not harm them), but set my mind at rest - they aren't going to get to the garden and usher in an apocalypse, eating and multiplying until the whole of my city is in flames... are they?!? Worst case scenario my wife gets mad that she sees one hopping about for a few weeks till they all get spidered/starve?

I'm suddenly feeling unprepared for being a parent! But then I felt like this when I got every other pet, until I had them a while and realised they knew a good thing when they saw it and weren't going to chew through their enclosures to get away.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-05-2019, 10:15 AM

to the Forum.

Have they got any ventilation?

Intrigued about keeping guinea pigs in the attic? Isn't it hot and stuffy in the summer and cold in the winter months? By attic, do you mean in the loft under the roof? Not sure if you are UK based.
Old 22-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellsfeathers&fur View Post
to the Forum.

Have they got any ventilation?

Intrigued about keeping guinea pigs in the attic? Isn't it hot and stuffy in the summer and cold in the winter months? By attic, do you mean in the loft under the roof? Not sure if you are UK based.

Hi!

Yes to be clear they have air-holes in the lid and there are several joins that have gaps so while they don't have a gale blowing through, there should be airflow. Also yes, UK

Our attic is just another room, it's not like one where you need a ladder and it's all beams, it is a proper room. It does get hotter than the rest of the house but 99% of the time not so hot we have to worry, and if it gets super hot up there (like last Summer) we move them to another room for a few days. And in the winter the room never gets cold. We've had piggies (and rats for a time) up there for... 6 or 7 years and never had them show any signs of heat or cold issues (and only had to move them for a couple of days maybe every other year - last year was ridiculous though, I hope this Summer isn't like that!).

Tags
shistocerca gregaria