Brachypelma Hamorii - Dry or moist? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 09-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Hatchling
Default Brachypelma Hamorii - Dry or moist?

Reading and been given some different information regarding the substrate for Brachypelma Hamorii. I haven't had mine long and keep the substrate bone dry except for occasional overflowing of the water dish. Is this correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 12:50 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerNoodle View Post
Reading and been given some different information regarding the substrate for Brachypelma Hamorii. I haven't had mine long and keep the substrate bone dry except for occasional overflowing of the water dish. Is this correct?
For mine I tend to do the same. For the most part the substrate is dry and I keep the water dish full (though I've never seen it touch it). Once a week or so I mist one side of the enclosure (not really wet though) and it has been getting on just fine for ages now. Just let it dry before wetting it again to keep chances of mould down.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:31 AM
Premier Citizen

My Brachypelma Hamorii prefers dry, I provide a water dish and she’s happy and molted without any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'When you don’t have many friends and you don’t have a social life you’re kind of left looking at things, not doing things. There’s a weird freedom in not having people treat you like you’re part of society or where you have to fulfill social relationships'

~ Tim Burton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 09:31 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerNoodle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow_boa View Post
For mine I tend to do the same. For the most part the substrate is dry and I keep the water dish full (though I've never seen it touch it). Once a week or so I mist one side of the enclosure (not really wet though) and it has been getting on just fine for ages now. Just let it dry before wetting it again to keep chances of mould down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungbug View Post
My Brachypelma Hamorii prefers dry, I provide a water dish and she’s happy and molted without any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dry, with just occasional overflowing of the water dish- they come from very dry scrub/pampas/desert outskirts in Mexico. Any info suggesting damp substrates or high humidity a la rainforest is incorrect.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Hatchling

[/QUOTE]Dry, with just occasional overflowing of the water dish- they come from very dry scrub/pampas/desert outskirts in Mexico. Any info suggesting damp substrates or high humidity a la rainforest is incorrect.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I should point out for me it ends up really being fortnightly and by mist I mean mist, not the spray down some people appear to give their enclosures. Substrate is not wet (reported by some that they prefer drinking water droplets...I’ve never seen it touch those or the water dish but hasn’t hurt it in the last two years 🙂 )
Old 09-08-2019, 12:20 AM
Hatchling
Default thnx

cheers for sharing sounds like good advice

Tags
brachypelma , hamorii , spider