Most interesting UK True Spider to keep? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 23-06-2019, 06:44 PM
Hatchling
Default Most interesting UK True Spider to keep?

What is in your opinions, the most interesting true spider, of UK origin, or now established in the UK, to keep?.. What about in the world. What UK spiders are the best to watch hunting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman83 View Post
What is in your opinions, the most interesting true spider, of UK origin, or now established in the UK, to keep?.. What about in the world. What UK spiders are the best to watch hunting?
Must admit there will be loads of UK natives I don't even know about and loads I'll never see. So from my own experiences my overall favourite is the good old house spider Eratigena atrica.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Old 23-06-2019, 10:41 PM
Hatchling

Was expecting a slightly more exotic answer even for the UK lol, I do like the look of The Green Huntsman, I think I'd like to see them in hunting mode if I was to choose a species originating from this country, not using a web... Although a large net-casting spider would be fun to watch as far as foreign species go.

Speaking of foreign species... Are there any relatively small huntsman spiders that are say 3" legspan or so, I wouldn't like to get something so small I wouldn't be able to see or catch it, be a nightmare rehousing :')
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-06-2019, 10:52 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basin79 View Post
Must admit there will be loads of UK natives I don't even know about and loads I'll never see. So from my own experiences my overall favourite is the good old house spider Eratigena atrica.
They're the only spider that my arachnophobia has never really been cured of- they still give me the creeps.
Old 23-06-2019, 11:28 PM
Ultra Citizen

Segestria florentina , technically not a uk spider , but have been established round ports for hundreds of years and have colonised most of southern England and Wales . Or the spitting spider , although a small species looks awesome, and the most interesting uk spider of all in my opinion , unfortunately can’t think of its scientific name off the top of my head
Old 23-06-2019, 11:33 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
They're the only spider that my arachnophobia has never really been cured of- they still give me the creeps.
Seriously? They're great little spiders.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Old 23-06-2019, 11:34 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman83 View Post
Was expecting a slightly more exotic answer even for the UK lol, I do like the look of The Green Huntsman, I think I'd like to see them in hunting mode if I was to choose a species originating from this country, not using a web... Although a large net-casting spider would be fun to watch as far as foreign species go.

Speaking of foreign species... Are there any relatively small huntsman spiders that are say 3" legspan or so, I wouldn't like to get something so small I wouldn't be able to see or catch it, be a nightmare rehousing :')
Why? I bring females into captivity now and again and they're absolutely phenomenal.

Old 23-06-2019, 11:40 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Seriously? They're great little spiders.
They're too fast & unpredictable for my liking, & if one gets on you they can be aggressive & can bite, & I'm told it hurts- look at the size of their fangs. DaveM who used to be on here told me he's been nailed by one or two, & that it wasn't nice.
Old 23-06-2019, 11:50 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
They're too fast & unpredictable for my liking, & if one gets on you they can be aggressive & can bite, & I'm told it hurts- look at the size of their fangs. DaveM who used to be on here told me he's been nailed by one or two, & that it wasn't nice.
Behave Wilks. They're in no way aggressive nor defensive if they're treated right.

Old 24-06-2019, 12:26 AM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Behave Wilks. They're in no way aggressive nor defensive if they're treated right.
Well the Cardinal house spider is so called because they used to bite Cardinal Wolsey, & he was terrified of them as a result.