White crawling things in B. hamorii enclosure - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 15-07-2019, 12:44 PM
Hatchling
Default White crawling things in B. hamorii enclosure

Hi everyone!

A few days ago I saw what looked like water droplets on the side of my b. hamorii's terrarium, which seemingly in the last couple of days have turned into the white crawling things that I've seen in the last 2 or 3 days. They look too elongated to be mites from what I hear - I'm hoping that if there were more I would have seen them crawling round as well.

Do I need to change the substrate? I've heard before that creepy crawlies that live in spider substrate (I keep mine on coir/coconut fibre) do best in moist conditions - the only moisture I have in her terrarium is her water dish. If I changed the substrate the new stuff would be more moist - what do I do?

The only thing that's been different recently is the higher temperature and humidity in the UK; I've had to have my window slightly ajar because it's so hot. Would that have had an effect on any of this happening?

I also have a c. cyaneopubescens, if I change the substrate for one, should I do the same for the other too?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm absolutely mortified that this has even happened and, from one worried spider owner I hope there's a way I can sort it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeJay97 View Post
Hi everyone!

A few days ago I saw what looked like water droplets on the side of my b. hamorii's terrarium, which seemingly in the last couple of days have turned into the white crawling things that I've seen in the last 2 or 3 days. They look too elongated to be mites from what I hear - I'm hoping that if there were more I would have seen them crawling round as well.

Do I need to change the substrate? I've heard before that creepy crawlies that live in spider substrate (I keep mine on coir/coconut fibre) do best in moist conditions - the only moisture I have in her terrarium is her water dish. If I changed the substrate the new stuff would be more moist - what do I do?

The only thing that's been different recently is the higher temperature and humidity in the UK; I've had to have my window slightly ajar because it's so hot. Would that have had an effect on any of this happening?

I also have a c. cyaneopubescens, if I change the substrate for one, should I do the same for the other too?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm absolutely mortified that this has even happened and, from one worried spider owner I hope there's a way I can sort it out!
My first thought was springtails but they require a damp enclosure so it shouldn't be them. Worth having a Google though and comparing them to yours.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Old 15-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeJay97 View Post
Hi everyone!

I just wonder if they could be white worms
do you have any photos of it which could help to find out what it is
hope you get it sorted out and it don't hurt your spider in any way
Advertisement

Old 17-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Hatchling

A photo would help. Could still be springtails to be fair. Even if you don’t introduce them yourself there’s a chance they might pop up. How big are they?
Old 17-07-2019, 10:19 PM
Ultra Citizen

Pic would be good . Have you actually seen them move ? If not could be the start of fungus , that is associated with coco fibre . Could also be maggots, the larval stage of phorid flys , or nematode worms . You don’t want either of these species in with your T . As a precaution your better off changing the substrate , try using peat mixed with a small amount of vermiculite or fine perlite , along with a good quality top soil with no additives. As long as it’s not overly wet , I wouldn’t worry about the extra humidity as it will soon dry out .
Old 29-07-2019, 02:52 PM

c. cyaneopubescens require it to be very dry. I merely drop a little water on the webbing but they'll receive their moisture from food.

It sounds like mites to me, little round things that multiply profusely in the right environment. I'd dry out the enclosure completely, even remove the water dish for a few days. Mites are hitchhikers so they can enter the enclosure via the food source, but they need moisture to survive. Perhaps check there's plenty of ventilation in your enclosure.

Pics would definitely help

300-500 Tarantula, incl. L. parahybana, G. rosea, G. pulchra, A. geniculata, C. cyaneopubescens, P. cambridgei, P. irminia, P. pucher, C. fasciatum, H. robustum, H. sp. Pumpkin Patch, A. Guyana, A. Peru Purple, A. versicolor, B. boehmei, B. emelia, B. smithi, B. vagans, P. formosa, P. miranda, P. metallica, P. ornata, P. pederseni, P. regalis, P. rufilata, P. striata, P. subfusca, P. tigrinawesseli, L. violaceopes, H. incei
Old 09-08-2019, 12:27 AM
Hatchling

thnx poxicator for advice, i like your autograph thats a lot of tarantulas . would love to see you collection. if you have any pix can i see your enclosures feel like it would teach me something. and nice post btw
Old 09-08-2019, 12:28 AM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poxicator View Post
c. cyaneopubescens require it to be very dry. I merely drop a little water on the webbing but they'll receive their moisture from food.

It sounds like mites to me, little round things that multiply profusely in the right environment. I'd dry out the enclosure completely, even remove the water dish for a few days. Mites are hitchhikers so they can enter the enclosure via the food source, but they need moisture to survive. Perhaps check there's plenty of ventilation in your enclosure.

Pics would definitely help
usually get lil black bugs in my cricket enclosure, is this the same thing ? cheers dude