My Indian stick insect seems to be ill. - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 18-07-2019, 11:15 PM
Regular
Unhappy My Indian stick insect seems to be ill.

Hi, I was given my Indian stick insect back in February. She was roughly 2 inches long then so I think she must be around 6-7months old now (she's the first stick insect I've ever had so I'm not really sure)?

She has been acting very strangely for the past couple of weeks. She has been eating the branches of the privet more than the leaves themselves and seems less orientated than usual and occasionally falls to the floor of the tank and has to climb back up. She's also started to lay eggs that are either tiny or very odd-shaped.

I handled her today for the first time in a few days and found that one of her middle legs has lost its entire foot and the stump is blackened at the end. The edge is so neat it looks like it was cut off - could she have bitten it off herself? There's no mould in her tank and she has fresh leaves and is given a light spray of water every few days or so, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how or why it happened.

There was an incident back in May where she was poisoned by a bad privet branch (I mustn't have washed it well enough and feel awful about it) and she seemed to lose complete control of her legs. Although they were constantly moving, she could not walk or feed herself at all. Her tank mate sadly died but I hand fed and watered her several times a day for over a week until she regained control and got back to normal, so I don't know if this might be some long term issue related to that?

I hope someone can help. Is there anything that might help her get better?

Last edited by KTedham; 18-07-2019 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Sorry, made a typo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
carausius morosus , indian stick insect , phasmatodea , phasmid , stick insect