Obt - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 09-08-2019, 12:46 AM
Hatchling
Default Obt

So I went and got an "old world" tarantula, the garden centre near where i live had some young adult/slings. They were inexpensive and, well; there were lots of them.

Felt like i could give her a good home. Trouble is she frightens me, never seen anything move so quick. Not sure where to go from here she is still in a small plastic cup (pot noodle size) Although I have got her a sweet enclosure off Amazon, with sliding top. Reason I chose that one is because its easier to feed/water than my Exoterras that I have my other 2 spiders in. Plus I heard these bites are pretty painful, and they are known to "bolt" . Making the front door tanks a bit intimidating; considering I have no experience with this type of spider.

She is about 1 and 1/2 inch wide now, and has molted 3 times. Really like to show you a pic but she is hardly ever out her burrow.

Really appreciate any tips on looking after the P.Murinas would be grateful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Super Citizen

not being a big spider keep myself
but I found this doing a quick search
hope it helps
Pter-murinus-care-sheet
Old 09-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymac123 View Post
So I went and got an "old world" tarantula, the garden centre near where i live had some young adult/slings. They were inexpensive and, well; there were lots of them.

Felt like i could give her a good home. Trouble is she frightens me, never seen anything move so quick. Not sure where to go from here she is still in a small plastic cup (pot noodle size) Although I have got her a sweet enclosure off Amazon, with sliding top. Reason I chose that one is because its easier to feed/water than my Exoterras that I have my other 2 spiders in. Plus I heard these bites are pretty painful, and they are known to "bolt" . Making the front door tanks a bit intimidating; considering I have no experience with this type of spider.

She is about 1 and 1/2 inch wide now, and has molted 3 times. Really like to show you a pic but she is hardly ever out her burrow.

Really appreciate any tips on looking after the P.Murinas would be grateful
What are the 2 tarantulas you already own?

To be honest you really shouldn't have impulsed bought an OW tarantula if you're not familiar or used to dealing with defensive or flighty T's.

There's a huge difference in having a healthy respect for a tarantula and actually being frightened of.

With that typed once a tarantula is established in their enclosures (if it's set up right) they'll usually run back to their hide/burrow if disturbed. That's if they're out in the first place. It's handy to have a catch cup or 2 to hand though just in case.

You'll want to provide deepish sub with a number of anchor points for your OBT to web too. I usually pull the leaves/stems off plastic plants and place them in the sub. A piece of cork bark is handy too as you can place that down and start a starter burrow.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 05:33 PM
Premier Citizen

I’ve had OBT’s housed in Exo Terra’s (separately of course )
My two tended to stay in their burrows unless disturbed or food was around, I didn’t find either of them ‘bolty’. In fact they would both stand their ground in threat pose
The Exo Terra can be opened from the top so no need to worry about opening the doors.
Take your time rehousing, never rush and keep calm. Have a few catch cups close by in case your T does decide to make a bid for freedom & yeah, OBT’s do pack a punch when they bite.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'When you don’t have many friends and you don’t have a social life you’re kind of left looking at things, not doing things. There’s a weird freedom in not having people treat you like you’re part of society or where you have to fulfill social relationships'

~ Tim Burton.

Tags
obt , old world