Orb weaver mysterious death - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 21-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Egg
Default Orb weaver mysterious death

Hi me and my colleagues are completely stumped by this. Unfortunately yesterday morning I found my female Golden Orb Weaver (Nephila clavata) dead in her enclosure. No signs as to why. She was still young and healthy, she had food in her enclosure and humidity and temperature was perfect but she was just hanging there, what was odd was she didn't die like a normal spider instead she just hung there limp. In all my years of keeping arachnids I've never experienced anything like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark.Animals View Post
Hi me and my colleagues are completely stumped by this. Unfortunately yesterday morning I found my female Golden Orb Weaver (Nephila clavata) dead in her enclosure. No signs as to why. She was still young and healthy, she had food in her enclosure and humidity and temperature was perfect but she was just hanging there, what was odd was she didn't die like a normal spider instead she just hung there limp. In all my years of keeping arachnids I've never experienced anything like this.
Are you certain she wasn't about to moult?
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Old 21-08-2019, 03:33 PM
Egg

I have left her in her enclosure in the hopes that it was a moult but I'd seen her on the Friday morning and left her to see if she was going through a moult but by yesterday evening she was still in the same position and again the same this morning