Heating - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 22-08-2019, 05:51 PM
Egg
Default Heating

Hi guys, I currently have all my spiders on a shelving rack (bookcase) 1 shelf has a heat mat on it but I feel the other shelves could do with a bit more heat, am I better getting more mats and stats so each shelf has it's own or would a heat cable work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-08-2019, 05:54 PM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-girl View Post
Hi guys, I currently have all my spiders on a shelving rack (bookcase) 1 shelf has a heat mat on it but I feel the other shelves could do with a bit more heat, am I better getting more mats and stats so each shelf has it's own or would a heat cable work?
Never used heat cable. Depending on what stat you use they are capable of running a few mats. It'll tell you how many watts it can handle on the stat itself. The heat mats will have their wattage on too.
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.

Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
Old 23-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Egg

I have used heat cables (the type for warming soil) and they do release a gentle heat. However, I have kept tarantulas for over 30 years and unless your room temp drops below say 19 or 20° at its lowest temps, you really don't need any additional heating at all. General rule of thumb ...if you are comfortable at the room temp, your spiders will be. If you do need additional heat and want to use a heat mat /cable, they should always be mounted vertically and not heat more that 50% of the enclosure. the spider will then have the option to warm or cool at their leisure. A thermostat should also be used. u less you are running more than a dozen heat mats, a ministat100 (I.e. 100 watts) would be more than sufficient. like I said though. only need heating if your room temps are low though. Hope that helps 🙂
Dungbug likes this.