Annoying Little Flies! help ! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 03-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to SpiderGirl33
Default Annoying Little Flies! help !

There are quite a lot of tiny little black flies in my room!

I'm not sure where they're living, I think they may be nesting in the soil in my spare soil tub ? lol
They're the little flies that hang round in the gardening section of Wilkinsons

They're really little, about 1mm or so, and I couldn't get a photo of one.

I drew an extremely accurate () drawing on paint!

Can anybody tell me what they are please?
As I keep all my tarantulas in my room I want to be sure these flies aren't dangerous to them.

Cheers
Sam
Energetic
Nimble
Graceful
Adept
Lively
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Gold Star Member
Send a message via MSN to spider_duck

Keep the T's away from them if you can-we had tons of these flies and they killed my gals and Ive heared theyre really dangerous to T's too. You can remove the T's to another room, spray the hell out of your room and clean out ALL of the animals from that room. Alternatively, I left a glass of vodka in my room for 3 days, and it killed the lot
Old 03-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Postaholic Member
Reviews: 22
Send a message via MSN to Lucifus

Big problems here as spider duck said. 3 infested T cages as well as my own gals. Cleaned out the affected tubs which cut the spread but didnt manage to save 6 leopard gecko eggs from them. Seems they are going for damp substrate so cut back on moistening the substrate and more with the spraying.

Catherine Zeta-Jones is a brave woman. Spending every night in a bed with Michael Douglas makes her more of a Tomb Raider than Lara Croft..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Premier Citizen

Thanks for your help!

Any idea what type of fly they are?

Might try the vodka thing, good excuse to buy a nice big bottle

What do you reckon they do to harm the animals then?
Would they lay eggs in them or what?
Energetic
Nimble
Graceful
Adept
Lively
Old 03-10-2008, 01:23 AM
Postaholic Member

They laid eggs on the eggs, and ate through the shell and from the inside out. They also killed galls by eating them. Would happen to the T's too so avoid it.

Catherine Zeta-Jones is a brave woman. Spending every night in a bed with Michael Douglas makes her more of a Tomb Raider than Lara Croft..
Old 03-10-2008, 02:54 AM
Premier Citizen

There are TWO types of annoying little flies.

1) Fungus knats which live in and eat moist substrate. These little sods FLY everywhere. Let the substrate dry out and they will die out very quickly. If you have these in your spider tanks you have the tank too moist and humid. Tarantulas DO NOT NEED constantly moist substrate (there are one or two exception like T. blondi ) If the spider is well fed and has a water bowl there is NO NEED to mist, spray or other wise let water enter the tank except into the water bowl.

2) Phorid Flies, these are the real pain in the #### if you have spiders.
These little flies RUN everywhere and only fly as a last resort. These eat dead insects (they DO NOT eat living animals) and the food bolas left over from the spiders meal and lay eggs on the spiders and the maggots congregate around the mouth parts of the spiders ...... Nasty things. Your tanks must squeaky clean, clean them at a minimumonce or better twice a week and by clean I mean totally empty and dispose of EVERYTHING inside of the tank.
If I was you, i would do a search on ALL of the Tarantula forums worldwide to find out how other people have got rid of this problem.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Ultra Citizen

yeh they come from contaiminated substrait. the best invert friendly cure is clean the cages and buy a couple of those carnivouris plants and put them just out side the cages works for me
1.0.0 E. Vulpinus (Juvi)
0.1.0 H. Lividum
0.1.0 M. Balfouri
0.1.0 A. Metallica

Have had alot more
Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Premier Citizen

They're living around the house, not just in my room where the tanks are.

I live in a wood, and there are loads of them outside too, I assumed they were a different fly but they're not. Probably with all the extra rain, there's quite a large population of them.

I'm not keeping the tanks too humid, because I've seen them crawling around in my G.roseas tank which is bone dry.
They sound to me like Fungus gnats, and look like them too.

Thanks matto2k, looks like I'll be getting a carnivorous plant then!
Energetic
Nimble
Graceful
Adept
Lively
Old 03-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 1
Send a message via MSN to macro junkie

sounds like window nats..LOADS of them around this time of year..if you have your window open at night with the light on your get loads turn up..i dont think they can hurt your reptiles..its parasitic wasps you need to worry about.there bigger than window natts.

Window natts(not sure of there real name) will live in soil..to stop this you can add an inch of stones to the top of the soil..this stops them laying eggs in the soil.if you allready have them in the soil theres only 1 thing that can kill them. http://www.growell.co.uk/p/2476/Fungus-Gnat-Off.html you flush that stuff through the soil which kills the eggs...they wont hurt your reptiles tho so i wouldnt worry about it.this time of year they get every where..i also live in the woods.

My da gallery - http://macrojunkie.deviantart.com/

Redbubble gallery - http://www.redbubble.com/people/macrojunkie01

"My real name is Scott Thompson"

Last edited by macro junkie; 03-10-2008 at 12:14 PM..
Old 04-10-2008, 02:51 AM
Postaholic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterUK View Post

2) Phorid Flies, these are the real pain in the #### if you have spiders.
These little flies RUN everywhere and only fly as a last resort. These eat dead insects (they DO NOT eat living animals) and the food bolas left over from the spiders meal and lay eggs on the spiders and the maggots congregate around the mouth parts of the spiders ...... Nasty things. Your tanks must squeaky clean, clean them at a minimumonce or better twice a week and by clean I mean totally empty and dispose of EVERYTHING inside of the tank.
If I was you, i would do a search on ALL of the Tarantula forums worldwide to find out how other people have got rid of this problem.
My blondi has these. Just found more mites in the tub. Unfortunetly they are congregating around the fangs and it had problems catching its food. Take it its gona die? Moved it into a tub with paper towl and a small water dish and hope the lack of humidity kills the mites before they do the spider. Last animal i seen this in died of it.

Last edited by Lucifus; 04-10-2008 at 03:04 AM..