Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Spiders and Inverts (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/)
-   -   My gift swap gift (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/217008-my-gift-swap-gift.html)

TEENY 22-11-2008 01:43 PM

My gift swap gift

Jamie very kindly offered to send me a gift as i didn't recieve one. Here is my newest baby.Jamie tells me it is a Chaco Golden Knee-Grammostola aureostriata:flrt:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...icture1119.jpg

and her home

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...icture1118.jpg

Have just been out and bought her tank,house and foliage to hide under if she feels shy. The tank is quite warm as it is ( it is up to 72 now ) but i bought a heat mat incase temps drop down. She is fantastic and such a lovely thing to watch. I am an instant spider addict:flrt::flrt::flrt::flrt::flrt:

Kathryn666 22-11-2008 02:05 PM

Awwwww fab pressie Teeny. I too have one of these and she is gorgeous. Growing like mad and I adore her. Nice one Jamie :D

TEENY 22-11-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathryn666 (Post 2913054)
Awwwww fab pressie Teeny. I too have one of these and she is gorgeous. Growing like mad and I adore her. Nice one Jamie :D

He is a star. I haven't been able to thank him yet as he has not been online today but i will as soon as he is:flrt:

Do you think the tank is big enough for now ?? i will get her something bigger when she grows a bit but i was worried about it getting cold in there. Does the set up look ok too ?? I have never done this before

Paulie B 22-11-2008 03:32 PM

Congrats on your new T. She is a stunner. Your tank is a perfect size and I doubt you will ever have to change it.

I dont see a water dish in there. You would need to put one in, even the lid off a coffee or a jam jar will do but she must have access to water at all times. What sort of substrate is that? is it stones? You would be better with some Peat Moss or Coco fibre in there.

Best of luck with her.

Cheers

SpiderGirl33 22-11-2008 04:01 PM

Congrats on your new little spiddy Teeny, shes cute! :no1: The substrate looks a bit like vermiculite to me Paulie : victory:

selina20 22-11-2008 04:18 PM

I would move her onto coco fibre as there is no need for her to be on vermiculite as she does not need additional humidity. Also u may find that she will burrow once she has coco fibre. Also u may need to put more substrate in than there already is in as if she falls she will rupture her abdomen. Definately put a shallow water bowl in so she can drink. DO NOT use a tarantula sponge or beetle jelly.

Jamie 22-11-2008 04:20 PM

That looks perfect Justine.

with a tank that size, I would be surprised if you needed to get a bigger one. Just an idea though, like paulie said, coco fibre is an excellent substrate for spiders as it holds moisture well and supports burrows quite nicely as spiders will burrow sometimes. What you have is fine though so don't panic. but I would look in to changing it at some point, coco fibre is cheap enough. Here's a handy link....

Terra Spider - Coco Fibre Substrate for Tarantulas Suppliers of Arachnids and other quality Invertebrates

all in all though you have an excellent set up there, and just makes me feel happy she went to a good home. :2thumb:

word of caution, getting in to tarantulas is like going down the pub for a pint........

1 is never enough! :lol2:

SiUK 22-11-2008 04:23 PM

its down to personal preference really with a spider like that, but vermiculite is a fine substrate.

treacle82 22-11-2008 04:26 PM

aww that was so nice of him!! im gettin my first T tomorrow....SO EXCITED!!!! been begging for 6mnths now

congrats on coco! shes beautiful :thumb:

Jamie 22-11-2008 04:27 PM

Here is a picture of your new spider a few days after her last moult....

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...6/DSC00123.jpg

SpiderGirl33 22-11-2008 04:33 PM

Aww look at her little stripey knees! :flrt: How could you bear giving her away Jamie?! She's too cute! :lol:

The tank looks fine to me, lots of people keep their spiders on vermiculite and never have problems.

Jamie 22-11-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiderGirl33 (Post 2913464)
Aww look at her little stripey knees! :flrt: How could you bear giving her away Jamie?! She's too cute! :lol:

The tank looks fine to me, lots of people keep their spiders on vermiculite and never have problems.

Because I still have 1 left, and I think I'll keep that one!!

The substrate is personal preference. you could mix coco fibre with a bit of vermiculite......:eek4:

But like I said, what she has is fine :thumb:

SpiderGirl33 22-11-2008 04:42 PM

Why keep it when you could give it to me? :flrt::lol2:

I've mixed coco fibre and vermiculite before, it worked great! :no1:

Jamie 22-11-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiderGirl33 (Post 2913524)
Why keep it when you could give it to me? :flrt::lol2:

I've mixed coco fibre and vermiculite before, it worked great! :no1:

As it's you Sammy....

£50

Jamie 22-11-2008 04:44 PM

:lol2:

SpiderGirl33 22-11-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 2913534)
As it's you Sammy....

£5

I'll take it ;)

TEENY 22-11-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulie B (Post 2913144)
Congrats on your new T. She is a stunner. Your tank is a perfect size and I doubt you will ever have to change it.

I dont see a water dish in there. You would need to put one in, even the lid off a coffee or a jam jar will do but she must have access to water at all times. What sort of substrate is that? is it stones? You would be better with some Peat Moss or Coco fibre in there.

Best of luck with her.

Cheers

It is vermiculite, The tiny stuff tho not the great big chunks.There is a lid in there now with water, i was having trouble finding one that was shallow enough so cricks would not drown in there but deep enough for the water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by selina20 (Post 2913378)
I would move her onto coco fibre as there is no need for her to be on vermiculite as she does not need additional humidity. Also u may find that she will burrow once she has coco fibre. Also u may need to put more substrate in than there already is in as if she falls she will rupture her abdomen. Definately put a shallow water bowl in so she can drink. DO NOT use a tarantula sponge or beetle jelly.

I have read about sponges keeping bacteria so i will not be using one you will be glad to know.I have never even heard of beetle jelly but if it i no-no i will remember that thanks.The angle at which i took the pic is decieving there is around 3" of stuff in there. Is that not enough?? I will put in more if not.Vermiculite was the ONLY substrate they had at my local shop Bearing in mind i live on the Isle of Wight!!! The only other stuff they had was sawdust and even i know you can't use that.:lol2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 2913384)
That looks perfect Justine.

with a tank that size, I would be surprised if you needed to get a bigger one. Just an idea though, like paulie said, coco fibre is an excellent substrate for spiders as it holds moisture well and supports burrows quite nicely as spiders will burrow sometimes. What you have is fine though so don't panic. but I would look in to changing it at some point, coco fibre is cheap enough. Here's a handy link....

Terra Spider - Coco Fibre Substrate for Tarantulas Suppliers of Arachnids and other quality Invertebrates

all in all though you have an excellent set up there, and just makes me feel happy she went to a good home. :2thumb:

word of caution, getting in to tarantulas is like going down the pub for a pint........

1 is never enough! :lol2:

I am an instant addict i swear. I know this will not be the last:flrt::flrt:

Thanks for the link Jamie, i will look that up and add get some and loads of other stuff no doubt:lol2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 2913422)
Here is a picture of your new spider a few days after her last moult....

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...6/DSC00123.jpg

How lovely, i still cannot believe i have Coco, i cannot stop looking over, i am soooooo in love:flrt::flrt:

Can you see where the name came from now, just like a hairy little coconut:flrt::lol2:

selina20 22-11-2008 06:49 PM

If u need some coco fibre i live in portsmouth and have some u can have. If not order from spider shop or livefoods sometimes do equipment etc. You dont want her 2 fall further than about an inch.

TEENY 22-11-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selina20 (Post 2914484)
If u need some coco fibre i live in portsmouth and have some u can have. If not order from spider shop or livefoods sometimes do equipment etc. You dont want her 2 fall further than about an inch.

I have just bookmarked the link Jamie gave me to get some but how on earth can i make sure she cannot fall further that an inch when she can walk up glass ??? Surely i don't fill up the tank to a couple of inches from the top ???

Jamie 22-11-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEENY (Post 2914412)
Can you see where the name came from now, just like a hairy little coconut:flrt::lol2:

lol, that did make me laugh!

you are getting in to a very addictive side of the forum though! They don't take up too much space and there are so many species with different colours, temprement etc.

you'll see what I mean by this....

Some of my spids - Arachnophiles Forum

TEENY 22-11-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 2914555)
lol, that did make me laugh!

you are getting in to a very addictive side of the forum though! They don't take up too much space and there are so many species with different colours, temprement etc.

you'll see what I mean by this....

Some of my spids - Arachnophiles Forum

He he it is the cute little botty that looks like a coconut:flrt::lol2:
I am starting to realise this may be more addictive than i thought as i found myself eying up some fo the T's on the site you linked me already lol.
Your spids are so fantastic, great having so many diff colours and shapes.

see you there in a few years:lol2::lol2:

selina20 22-11-2008 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEENY (Post 2914503)
I have just bookmarked the link Jamie gave me to get some but how on earth can i make sure she cannot fall further that an inch when she can walk up glass ??? Surely i don't fill up the tank to a couple of inches from the top ???

Sometimes they climb when they are not happy with the substrate. My Nhandu still climbs eventho iv tried everything to stop her and iv seen her fall a few times. Make sure theres nothing sharp in there too which is another reason i prefer coco fibre to vermiculite. You might also find she will settle in a few days and use her hide :D

TEENY 22-11-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selina20 (Post 2914599)
Sometimes they climb when they are not happy with the substrate. My Nhandu still climbs eventho iv tried everything to stop her and iv seen her fall a few times. Make sure theres nothing sharp in there too which is another reason i prefer coco fibre to vermiculite. You might also find she will settle in a few days and use her hide :D

She only cloimbed to the topwhen i first got here but i assumed that was cos she was pretty pi$$ed off at Royal Mail tbh.
She is currently exploring the floor surface and is sat behind her hide looking out over the top looking cute. The water bowl has smooth edges ( it took me ages to find a lid that was shallow and i have pushed the substrate right up around it so it is not just jutting up into the air) the plant is cushiony and there are no sharp bits i already checked that as i read a little on T's in general as i had an inkling jamie would send me one :whistling2::lol2:

Jamie 22-11-2008 10:21 PM

there is being cautious and then there is being over cautious. Many of my T's could fall 2-3" if they climbed the tank and fell.

Justine, your spider climbed the tank because it is exploring it's new surroundings. The T you have is a terrestrial species, meaning it is ground dwelling. They are not natural climbers and will not climb by habit. I assure you once the spider is settled you will rarely see it climbing the tank, if at all.

Yes it is a risk, but a minimal risk at most. The spider knows it is climbing the tank and wouldn't do so if it wasn't able. I have not seen or heard of 1 thread on any forum saying "my spider died because it fell off the side of the tank".

Your set up is fine.

TEENY 22-11-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 2915864)
there is being cautious and then there is being over cautious. Many of my T's could fall 2-3" if they climbed the tank and fell.

Justine, your spider climbed the tank because it is exploring it's new surroundings. The T you have is a terrestrial species, meaning it is ground dwelling. They are not natural climbers and will not climb by habit. I assure you once the spider is settled you will rarely see it climbing the tank, if at all.

Yes it is a risk, but a minimal risk at most. The spider knows it is climbing the tank and wouldn't do so if it wasn't able. I have not seen or heard of 1 thread on any forum saying "my spider died because it fell off the side of the tank".

Your set up is fine.

Okay thankyou Jamie. I panic sooo much tho with my babies. Coco is now in the rock hide looking pretty smug, i think feeding will not be a problem as EVERY movement near tank seems to be being watched. Roll on Monday as i thought i would try Monday night x