My gift swap gift - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 22-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Posting Deity
Default My gift swap gift

Jamie very kindly offered to send me a gift as i didn't recieve one. Here is my newest baby.Jamie tells me it is a Chaco Golden Knee-Grammostola aureostriata

and her home

Have just been out and bought her tank,house and foliage to hide under if she feels shy. The tank is quite warm as it is ( it is up to 72 now ) but i bought a heat mat incase temps drop down. She is fantastic and such a lovely thing to watch. I am an instant spider addict

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4707319724/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-11-2008, 03:05 PM

Awwwww fab pressie Teeny. I too have one of these and she is gorgeous. Growing like mad and I adore her. Nice one Jamie
Old 22-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn666 View Post
Awwwww fab pressie Teeny. I too have one of these and she is gorgeous. Growing like mad and I adore her. Nice one Jamie
He is a star. I haven't been able to thank him yet as he has not been online today but i will as soon as he is

Do you think the tank is big enough for now ?? i will get her something bigger when she grows a bit but i was worried about it getting cold in there. Does the set up look ok too ?? I have never done this before

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4707319724/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-11-2008, 04:32 PM

Congrats on your new T. She is a stunner. Your tank is a perfect size and I doubt you will ever have to change it.

I dont see a water dish in there. You would need to put one in, even the lid off a coffee or a jam jar will do but she must have access to water at all times. What sort of substrate is that? is it stones? You would be better with some Peat Moss or Coco fibre in there.

Best of luck with her.

Cheers
Old 22-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to SpiderGirl33

Congrats on your new little spiddy Teeny, shes cute! The substrate looks a bit like vermiculite to me Paulie
Energetic
Nimble
Graceful
Adept
Lively
Old 22-11-2008, 05:18 PM
No Life Member
Reviews: 8
Send a message via MSN to selina20 Send a message via Yahoo to selina20

I would move her onto coco fibre as there is no need for her to be on vermiculite as she does not need additional humidity. Also u may find that she will burrow once she has coco fibre. Also u may need to put more substrate in than there already is in as if she falls she will rupture her abdomen. Definately put a shallow water bowl in so she can drink. DO NOT use a tarantula sponge or beetle jelly.

Old 22-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 6

That looks perfect Justine.

with a tank that size, I would be surprised if you needed to get a bigger one. Just an idea though, like paulie said, coco fibre is an excellent substrate for spiders as it holds moisture well and supports burrows quite nicely as spiders will burrow sometimes. What you have is fine though so don't panic. but I would look in to changing it at some point, coco fibre is cheap enough. Here's a handy link....

Terra Spider - Coco Fibre Substrate for Tarantulas Suppliers of Arachnids and other quality Invertebrates

all in all though you have an excellent set up there, and just makes me feel happy she went to a good home.

word of caution, getting in to tarantulas is like going down the pub for a pint........

1 is never enough!
Old 22-11-2008, 05:23 PM
No Life Member

its down to personal preference really with a spider like that, but vermiculite is a fine substrate.
Old 22-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Forum Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to treacle82

aww that was so nice of him!! im gettin my first T tomorrow....SO EXCITED!!!! been begging for 6mnths now

congrats on coco! shes beautiful

Old 22-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Gold Star Member
Reviews: 6

Here is a picture of your new spider a few days after her last moult....