Brazilian White Knee Moult - Help Please - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Regular

Thanks John, Lisa, Selina,

I'll leave her to it for tonight and see how she is tomorrow, hopefully there will be some progress by the time I finish work tomorrow.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 07:43 PM
No Life Member
Reviews: 8
Send a message via MSN to selina20 Send a message via Yahoo to selina20

The more u do with her the more stressed she will get and the less likely she will come through the moult.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Regular
Unhappy Urgent - help please

I've just got home from work, she is in the same position she was in last night and I thought she had died. I sprayed around her lightly with tepid water and her legs moved, but she appears really weak.

Is there anything I can do to help her, she is stuck on her back and can't get the remaining shed off her. I have long handled tongs and pencils with rubber erasers, would it be safe to try and remove the old shed to help her.

I don't like seeing her in this much trouble, she is stuck and must be exhausted, can anyone advise? I don't want to lose her either.

Thanks

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 04:38 PM
No Life Member
Reviews: 8
Send a message via MSN to selina20 Send a message via Yahoo to selina20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBoscOwner View Post
I've just got home from work, she is in the same position she was in last night and I thought she had died. I sprayed around her lightly with tepid water and her legs moved, but she appears really weak.

Is there anything I can do to help her, she is stuck on her back and can't get the remaining shed off her. I have long handled tongs and pencils with rubber erasers, would it be safe to try and remove the old shed to help her.

I don't like seeing her in this much trouble, she is stuck and must be exhausted, can anyone advise? I don't want to lose her either.

Thanks

Kevin
If all her feet are stuck then you have two choices leave her to die or euthanase her in the freezer. If its only 2 legs or so then you can carefully remove these but be warned she will need to be floured after due to bleeding. Sadly there is not much u can do for a T stuck on a moult

Old 06-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Regular

Selina, she was half out of the moult yesterday morning but had trouble with 2 or 3 legs, she's in a bit of a state as the old moult is on top and it's hard to see where she begins and it ends, but if she'll let me, I'd like to try and gently remove the old moult from around her, just to give her some chance to get out.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Postaholic Member

I guess at this stage you have nothing to lose by trying, as the legs stuck in the moult will have hardened to the point where she will not be able to get them out. They secrete fluid between the old and new skins to make moulting easier, but after over 24 hours this will have dried up.

They sometimes drop stuck legs (mine shed a leg when it couldn't get it out of a moult), but she is probably too weak to do that now, you could try and remove her stuck legs by a gentle tug where the legs join the body. Have some superglue handy in case the wound does not seal and leaks. They can manage OK without a couple of legs. If she still has skin stuck to her abdomen it's probably best not to try and remove that in case it causes a larger wound. If she recovers, you can worry about getting that off later, or she would shed it at the next moult anyway.

Then you would need to move her very carefully into spider ICU. This is a small clean tub like a cricket tub, lined with damp tissue to create a humid environment. Then put that tub inside a larger tub which has a heat mat, so the heat mat is not in direct contact with the ICU tub - box inside a box.

Then leave her in there undisturbed for a day or two as she would need time to recover.

I'm afraid it doesn't sound like good news for your girl but I understand you want to try. What I've posted is only what I've gleaned from reading other posts as I have not had this happen to me.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Regular
Unhappy

Lisa,

I managed to remove the moult from around her (tweasers and a fine scissors) and one leg was firmly stuck. I removed that leg and used flour as previously suggested before getting her into a locust tub with damp tissue (except for where the wound is). This is inside her normal tank with a mat. She doesn't look in a good way, her abdomen seems shrunken and is rising and falling (almost as though she is breathing).... I hope she pulls through, but it doesn't look like she will. She was marvelous while I tried to help her, no struggling even when I got her the right way up again.

Kevin
Old 06-04-2009, 05:47 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via ICQ to iiisecondcreep Send a message via AIM to iiisecondcreep Send a message via MSN to iiisecondcreep Send a message via Yahoo to iiisecondcreep

Good luck, I really hope she pulls through.

Gayle.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Postaholic Member

Poor thing. I do hope she makes it but you have done all you can.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Regular

Thanks Lisa and Gayle,

I hope she pulls through but we think she is too weak, with all the effort of trying to moult she is exhausted. One or two of her legs have curled too, which I know means that she is dying.

Kevin