Reptile Forums banner

1st miner bee shot 2009

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  XoxOriptideOxoX 
#1 ·
Did you know that Britain has more than 250 species of native bee?

around 25 per cent of our native bees are listed as endangered species.

Out of these 250 species ... over 90% of them are solitary bees.

By solitary i mean that a single female, after she emerges from her pupae and is mated by a male, constructs, provisions and lays an egg in each cell in a nest by herself. This in comparison with social (called eusocial) bees like the Bumble Bees, Honey Bees and Stingless Bees, all of whom have a Queen who lays eggs and a number of workers who look after them.

not sure what type this is..its some sort of miner bee..i ound it in my garden today.iv found a hole where it keeps going in and out:)

See less See more
#2 ·
nice pic indeed

in a back rabbit pen we have about 15+ holes where bee's like that go down. there legs have clumps of pollen stuck to them

#4 ·
nice pic indeed

in a back rabbit pen we have about 15+ holes where bee's like that go down. there legs have clumps of pollen stuck to them
hmmm..sounds like a normal honeybee nest to me..:gasp:

#5 ·
They are probably orchard mason bees. I have a set of bee tubes up under the eaves of the shed, and they use it every year. They plug the holes with mud after they have laid their eggs in there. You'll see them going in and out with pollen to put next to the eggs, and then little mud pellets to block the tube up afterwards.
The larvae eat the pollen, pupate and emerge as adult beeds the following spring.

#7 ·
the image above isnt a mason bee..i have those images to come later:) mason bees are 2x bigger than miner bees..both wicked to photograph and both living in my garden:)

#6 ·
I have a bee nest in a bush next to my fron garden, always there, every year.!
Didn't know there were so many species, and that most were solitary!!
Great pic as always Scott
Best regards, John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.