Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Spiders and Inverts (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/)
-   -   Cleaning out... (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/282335-cleaning-out.html)

Gaboon 06-04-2009 06:50 PM

Cleaning out...

How often do you guys clean out your inverts?

Also, are these tropical woodlice useful? My T's seem to put so much work into creating a nice web and/or borrow, seems a shame to trash it every time they need a clean...

iiisecondcreep 06-04-2009 07:03 PM

I hardly ever clean my T's out. I spot clean regularly but full clean outs... I'm not sure. Annually? Usually they need rehoused before they need cleaned out!

Tropical woodlice are brilliant, I have those and springtails in with my avic because there was mould, they ate all the mould and there has never even been a trace of it since!

andy07966 06-04-2009 07:10 PM

Do the springtails just die when they have done their job or do they live and breed indefinitely?

garlicpickle 06-04-2009 07:17 PM

They live and breed as long as there's stuff for them to eat and enough moisture.

Jamie 06-04-2009 07:30 PM

I give mine a bath weekly, also make them brush their fangs twice daily, they need shiney nashers.

ph0bia 06-04-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 3676770)
I give mine a bath weekly, also make them brush their fangs twice daily, they need shiney nashers.

:lol:

In all seriousness, clean if they need cleaning. If there is mold, clean. If there are mites, clean.

If you're careful with humidity and prey removal, you should be able to go as much as two years without cleaning.

ackie123 06-04-2009 11:25 PM

wow thats good info to know!i too thought it was more regular!where do u get the woodlice from any websites sell them?

garlicpickle 06-04-2009 11:40 PM

dartfrog sell tropical woodlice and springtails, but I got my springtails from livefoodwarehouse. There's millions of them in a box. I gave my avic and my lividum a spoonful each and the other 900,000 are living with my millipedes.

You can use normal woodlice from your garden, but it's better to quarantine them for a week or two in a cricket tub with clean substrate and feed them some old fruit and veg, just to flush out any crapola or pesticides from their systems.

ackie123 06-04-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlicpickle (Post 3678855)
dartfrog sell tropical woodlice and springtails, but I got my springtails from livefoodwarehouse. There's millions of them in a box. I gave my avic and my lividum a spoonful each and the other 900,000 are living with my millipedes.

You can use normal woodlice from your garden, but it's better to quarantine them for a week or two in a cricket tub with clean substrate and feed them some old fruit and veg, just to flush out any crapola or pesticides from their systems.

perfect will order some now.do they not bother the spiders?cud u use them for scorps also just thinking what else to use them up in lol

garlicpickle 06-04-2009 11:55 PM

I doubt T's and scorps would bother with woodlice, and the springtails are weeny!