R.I.P. Souxsie (Acanthoscurria geniculata) - Page 2 - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 07-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Postaholic Member

Dandydi was selling an A. juruenicola on the classifieds, if that's of any interest to you? There's a couple of Nhandus on there as well, if you like the stockier T's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Regular

Hi Lisa, I just did some research on the A. juruenicola and there was suprisingly little brought back... I'm loath to get a species where I can't research its needs, growth, etc. As for the Nhandus, reading some of the stories about them.... maybe not!!!

I was looking at these:

Acanthoscurria chacoana - Bolivian Salmon Pink, not as pretty as the Geniculata but very nice.

Lasiodora parahybana - Brazilian Salmon Pink, not as pretty as the Acanthoscurria but a 'robust' T.

Grammostola aureostriata - Chaco Golden Knee, very pretty and also big (plus the Grammostola are a 'docile' T).

Aphonopelma chalcodes - Mexican/Desert Blonde, pretty and not as large as the others.

What do you think?

P.S. although I love the colour of the Haplopelma lividum, but being a quick and agressive species, perhaps something for the future.

Kevin
Old 07-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Postaholic Member

I think all the acanthoscurrias have similar needs to A. genic, but don't quote me as I'm not 100% certain. If your Siouxie was very docile she may have been a little atypical, as I believe they can be a bit confrontational and will stand their ground if threatened rather than run and hide like some.

G. aureostriata - do get quite big and are usually docile. Like all Grammies take forever to grow though.

Selina20 on here is selling her Nhandu colorativillosus, I've actually seen this T and it's huge. She said her boyfriend handles it and it's docile. Fuzzgecko is also selling one on classifieds and there's a pic of it on his thread described as Brazilian Black and White. It's gorgeous. I almost bought it myself.

I don't know anything about the Aphonopelmas other than they don't get terribly big and in general are quite laid-back.

L. para - fast growers, can have attitude and get massive.

H. lividum - beautiful spiders but rarely seen as they are true obligate burrowers and live almost their entire life underground if housed correctly. I have never seen mine out of its burrow since i got it!

I'm sure the spider for you is out there, and there's always new ones coming up on the classifieds