Enclosure size query... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 07-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Premier Member
Reviews: 9
Default Enclosure size query...

Is there a general size of T / size of enclosure ratio I can use as a guide to working out minimum and maybe maximum enclosure sizes for my T's?

Like that of fish pr litre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009, 11:36 AM
5 Star Member
Send a message via ICQ to iiisecondcreep Send a message via AIM to iiisecondcreep Send a message via MSN to iiisecondcreep Send a message via Yahoo to iiisecondcreep

Minimum floor area for a terrestrial T is something like 3x the length of the T and 2x the width, basically enough room to fit in a hide, water dish and enough space for the T to moult.
Obviously this is different for burrowing T's and arboreal. I don't really use any sort of formula, jsut play it by eye. Most of my T's are slings so they are all in containers that they can live in for a few moults.

As for maximum size, well this is debatable. Some people say that too much space will make a T stressed. Its up to you whether you choose to believe this or not, however its probably fair to say that if you give a T a huuuuge enclosure, chances are most will still just sit in the same spot all day

Old 07-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Agreed with above.
I have put Ts in large enclosures only to find they completely ignore most of it. Tarantula, with the exception of mature males, are not nomadic or hunters, they are opportunistic feeders so they lazily sit in their burrow, hide or web waiting for food to arrive.
Too large an enclosure won't create problems however if you furnish it with lots of hiding places for insects then there is the danger of the tarantula not finding its food.
For these reasons I make sure my slings are all kept in small tubs.

300-500 Tarantula, incl. L. parahybana, G. rosea, G. pulchra, A. geniculata, C. cyaneopubescens, P. cambridgei, P. irminia, P. pucher, C. fasciatum, H. robustum, H. sp. Pumpkin Patch, A. Guyana, A. Peru Purple, A. versicolor, B. boehmei, B. emelia, B. smithi, B. vagans, P. formosa, P. miranda, P. metallica, P. ornata, P. pederseni, P. regalis, P. rufilata, P. striata, P. subfusca, P. tigrinawesseli, L. violaceopes, H. incei