Particually Aggressive Salmon Pink - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 08-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Regular
Default Particually Aggressive Salmon Pink

Hay,
We receantly got Alot of new Ts all of which are getting on fine and settled in, exept one of our Salmon Pinks.
We got two and the other is fine evan got her out last night to rearange her tank (In fact Id say shes a little too docile) but the other is mental and so much as open the tank and its ready to attack, she actually attempted to jump last night to get us.
I understand that this can be a somewhat agressive and temprimental species but was wondering if it is just down to the spider or if there may be something we can do to make her a little happier?
Any Info Appreciated.
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Posting Deity

Try more places to hide ???

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4707319724/
Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Regular
Default re

Cool, she has got a few places to hide and enought dirt to burrow if she feels like it as the other does a little but will add some more and see if it helps.
Thankyou.
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
5 Star Member

Its a tarantula, the fact is, its going to react in a fashion that most people deem as aggression when in fact its most likely a feeding response.. or less likely a defsive response.
The chances are its had a molt more recently than the other and its at its most active part of the molt cycle.. Eagerly awaiting something to eat.
Atm i just need to drip a few drops at my T apophysis' retreat to send her charging out of the hide eagerly expecting to grasp a prey item..most people see aggression, when all it is is feeding response.. feast or famin.

She had finished her 2yr molt cycle a few months ago, and now her exuvium is hardened shes eating planets! I would expect this to last about 6months - 1yr of her cycle before she calms herself down some.
This is exactly the same situation i have found with al species iv kept multiples of.

I wouldnt worry about it at all.. the fact is these guys will ALWAYS perplex you in some way, no matter how long you keep them.. you cant spend your time worrying about why one is slightly more touchy than the other:p

Individual spider personality plays a small part, but imo this seems rather inconsequential as every individual of any species iv kept multiples of has displayed the same behaviours, just at different times. Its depndant on alot of other factors.

I will never understand people having 'EVIL' G roseas... iv had 5 and not one of those ahs been nasty, only ever hungry or curious.. They have shared the moods, they have all had hungry days, placid days and curious days.
I think people need to change their perspective on aggression.. it seems people are too eager to label a tarantulas behaviour as aggressive..
IMO i dont have any aggressive spiders.. tho i do have some aggressive feeders

Phormictopus auratus.. you can get her attention with a spoon.. shel jump on it and simply wont let go, lol you can lift her up with the spoon. shes just hungry and wants to ensure that shes not going to be throwing away a meal. lol once she actually realises its of no benefit she leaves it be.

all my opinions worked on my own experiences.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Regular
Default haha

Alright jo Basically i believe she was over hungry. she has just worked her way through three black large crickets and seems to be a lot more placid now.....dont know when she was feed before we got her or evan if she was feeding .She seems happy as larry now poor girl, cant wait for her to grow love the salmon pinks!!!! have fun
0.2.0 beardies
2.5.0 leopard gecko's
4.6.11 T's
1.1.0 corn snakes
2.2.0 praying mantis
0.0.2 giant african land snails
0.1.0 mackleys
1.0.0 Water dragon
0.0.1 atlas beetle(grub stage)
0.0.1 millipede
0.0.22 fish
0.2.0 hamsters
Old 08-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Regular

Cheers C Strike super advice. shes doing well now cheers again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Strike View Post
Its a tarantula, the fact is, its going to react in a fashion that most people deem as aggression when in fact its most likely a feeding response.. or less likely a defsive response.
The chances are its had a molt more recently than the other and its at its most active part of the molt cycle.. Eagerly awaiting something to eat.
Atm i just need to drip a few drops at my T apophysis' retreat to send her charging out of the hide eagerly expecting to grasp a prey item..most people see aggression, when all it is is feeding response.. feast or famin.

She had finished her 2yr molt cycle a few months ago, and now her exuvium is hardened shes eating planets! I would expect this to last about 6months - 1yr of her cycle before she calms herself down some.
This is exactly the same situation i have found with al species iv kept multiples of.

I wouldnt worry about it at all.. the fact is these guys will ALWAYS perplex you in some way, no matter how long you keep them.. you cant spend your time worrying about why one is slightly more touchy than the other:p

Individual spider personality plays a small part, but imo this seems rather inconsequential as every individual of any species iv kept multiples of has displayed the same behaviours, just at different times. Its depndant on alot of other factors.

I will never understand people having 'EVIL' G roseas... iv had 5 and not one of those ahs been nasty, only ever hungry or curious.. They have shared the moods, they have all had hungry days, placid days and curious days.
I think people need to change their perspective on aggression.. it seems people are too eager to label a tarantulas behaviour as aggressive..
IMO i dont have any aggressive spiders.. tho i do have some aggressive feeders

Phormictopus auratus.. you can get her attention with a spoon.. shel jump on it and simply wont let go, lol you can lift her up with the spoon. shes just hungry and wants to ensure that shes not going to be throwing away a meal. lol once she actually realises its of no benefit she leaves it be.

all my opinions worked on my own experiences.
0.2.0 beardies
2.5.0 leopard gecko's
4.6.11 T's
1.1.0 corn snakes
2.2.0 praying mantis
0.0.2 giant african land snails
0.1.0 mackleys
1.0.0 Water dragon
0.0.1 atlas beetle(grub stage)
0.0.1 millipede
0.0.22 fish
0.2.0 hamsters
Old 08-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Regular
Default Re

Awsome Thankyou, I did wonder if it could be that but there are the first Lasiodoras have had so was just making sure.
Glad she has eaten again.
Thanks for the info. I understand where your coming from in regard to aggresive, I suppose it is over used.
All our others are fine and can tell the differance between hungrey and curious easliy but as I said these are our firsts of this kind and as rescues I wanted to make sure there wasnt something I was overlooking in regards to her happiness and settling in.
I think the other is slightly more subdued as may be coming up for a shed, will be watching out for that.
Thanks again for the info Very helpfull.
x
Old 08-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Forum Citizen
Reviews: 1
Send a message via MSN to squaddie

Quote:
but the other is mental and so much as open the tank and its ready to attack, she actually attempted to jump last night to get us.
Sounds EXACTLY like mine!