Avic not eating - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 PM
5 Star Member
Reviews: 2
Send a message via AIM to Spider Call Send a message via Skype™ to Spider Call
Default Avic not eating

Genie my avic was moved in to an exo terra about 3 months back, she has lots of hiding spaces and yet insists of sitting on the glass.
She has not webbed and has also not been eating, I got her last year and she was extremely thin but soon perked up... However she has gone back to how she was and I am really beginning to worry.

Unlike my G.rosea this little un has lost a LOT of weight and her abdomen is tiny.
Do you think it would be a good idea to buy her a jar like my P.regalis is in to see if a smaller space would encourage feeding?

Thanks

-Em
0.1 Sinaloan milk snake - Stephany, 2.6 Leopard geckos - Emerald, Golden Cain, Robin, Miracle, Anastasia, Firefly, Pluto & Seraphina, 4 pond fish - Cal, Kid, Goldie & Bella, 0.1 Syrian hamsters - Ruby, 1.1 Jack russels - Daisy & Kevin, 1.0 Hognose - George, 11 tropical fish

Member 3732
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Gold Star Member

What are you offering as food? When I had an avic it was only interested in large/adult locusts but that obviously depends on the size of the avic. Has it got anything to web against/inside?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 PM
5 Star Member

Yup, she has a semi upright cork bark tube, a curved piece up against the wall, a smaller piece laying at a slight angle wedged between the glass and the tube.. Branches to climb on and fake plants for extra cover.

She has been offered, small, medium, large + extra large crickets. Medium locust, left wax worms and meal worms in a bowl for her and she has also been offered wax moths.
0.1 Sinaloan milk snake - Stephany, 2.6 Leopard geckos - Emerald, Golden Cain, Robin, Miracle, Anastasia, Firefly, Pluto & Seraphina, 4 pond fish - Cal, Kid, Goldie & Bella, 0.1 Syrian hamsters - Ruby, 1.1 Jack russels - Daisy & Kevin, 1.0 Hognose - George, 11 tropical fish

Member 3732
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Ultra Citizen

Are you sure "she" is actually female?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Willenium

How's the humidity in the Exo Terra? I had mine in a 30x30x30 Exo Terra and it nearly died from dehydration so it's now in a tall cereal container with plenty of moisture. Still not eating mind but I think it'll have something in time. Not tried Locusts yet so will try them next.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Postaholic Member

Mine didn't eat for weeks after I got it, and it rarely eats even now. I had it in an Exo but it wasn't making use of the space, so I changed to a smaller enclosure which it seems to prefer as I see it wandering round more often.

It's never webbed though!

Old 08-04-2009, 03:41 PM
5 Star Member

No I am not sure that 'she' is a she XD
But 'she' is not old enough to be a MM yet :P And she only produced one perfect moult, which I then proceeded to get stuck in my hair when I leant over it D: And broke it... So no sexing available.

Humidity is fine C: I mist her every other day to keep it up, plus she has a water bowl and moss that is kept damp.

I may get another sweet jar I think :/ And pop her in that as they are smaller -sigh-
She uses the top half, but likes climbing upside down and then generally falls off of the roof....

Member 3732
Old 08-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willenium View Post
How's the humidity in the Exo Terra? I had mine in a 30x30x30 Exo Terra and it nearly died from dehydration so it's now in a tall cereal container with plenty of moisture. Still not eating mind but I think it'll have something in time. Not tried Locusts yet so will try them next.
If you're worried about this being an issue, have a shallow water dish always on offer. My girlfriend keeps her H.mac in one of the larger of these ExoTerra's (more vertical space than the 'cube') and the spider will use the water dish very rarely between mistings.

- Arachno-ph0bia Website
- Subscribe to my YouTube
Old 08-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Ultra Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0bia View Post
If you're worried about this being an issue, have a shallow water dish always on offer. My girlfriend keeps her H.mac in one of the larger of these ExoTerra's (more vertical space than the 'cube') and the spider will use the water dish very rarely between mistings.
H. mac's and Avic's are completely different.

An Avic needs high humidity so doesnt do well in dry conditions. Exo-terra's are not ideal for Avics unless you can partially cover the top ventilation to stop it drying out too much.