info on sun beetles please!! - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Default info on sun beetles please!!

hi ive just bought 2 sun beetles and ive been told they only live for about 6 months??? so do they lay eggs? what i mean is when they die will i get grubs? if so how do i care for the grubs? i believe sun beetles eat fruit, any particular type? any info will be much appreciated as i want to start keeping beetles.

thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Gold Star Member

Not one for researching before a buy then

I wanna get some sun beetles, they look amazing

Old 08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Postaholic Member

If they're a pair then they should lay eggs. I don't know a lot about them but the adults eat soft fruit or beetle jelly, and the grubs eat rotting wood, so you need to provide them with a deep substrate with decaying wood mixed in it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 01:19 PM

do they need uv light cause a guy selling them has one above the tank dunno if its just for viewing though?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Postaholic Member

Fruit Beetles

Old 08-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Gold Star Member

Its a little irresponsible to buy anything like this without doing research on it before purchase however have you heard of google? If you have then type in sun beetles care its amazing what comes up.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Ultra Citizen

As said above, Google's always useful.

I can't help but notice that most people that get beetles just impulse buy, and don't actually know how to care for them.

They don't need any special lighting, but with Pachnoda being Cetoniidae, they need a rough night/day cycle to function properly. Otherwise, they get confused and stressed, leading to a slightly shortened lifespan. Just keep them in a room that get's light at daytime, and they'll be OK light-wise.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:20 AM

Thanks for the info, they havnt even arrived yet, ive wanted to start getting them for ages and saw these two left and ordered them before they sold out. As they havnt arrived yet I knew I would have plenty of time to get their enclosure ready and learn about them. I could of just bunged them in a plastic pot and not worried about them, at least im bothering to learn how to make their life as long as poss and ensure their habitat is good and their on the right diet, I had looked into them a little but just wanted some experience tips so i think to call me irresponsible is a little harsh to be honest!!!! Thanks to everyone who has submitted helpful advice.