Reptile Forums

Reptile Forums (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/)
-   Spiders and Inverts (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/)
-   -   feeding emperor scorplings (https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/306756-feeding-emperor-scorplings.html)

Pyro 19-05-2009 01:21 AM

feeding emperor scorplings

Just wondered what's the best way to go about this. I was given a tub of small silent crickets when I bought them free of charge, and told to give them as many as they will take once a week. Is that a good way to do it? Also, do I kill the crickets first or use tweezers or what? Am I okay to just chuck in some overnight and take those left out the next day, or could they hurt the scorps?

Thanks

Also, crickets dont need water do they? I just put some orange in the tub and... yeah...

alexisa 19-05-2009 01:26 AM

I always use tweezers
grab the crickets...alive... with tweezers........wiggle them around infront of their mouth/claws....if they are hungry...they will snatch them and then eat them
crickets dont need water...they get everything from the food you chuck in.......lettuce etc.

Pyro 19-05-2009 01:36 AM

and how often would you be feeding? Bug gel is okay instead of water ya?

Juggernaut 19-05-2009 02:04 AM

i may be doing it wrong but my 3 emp scorplings get 10-15 size 2 crix chucked in 2-3 times a week, they very rarely leave any left, this is just what i was advised and to be honest they look like they are doing fine : victory:

Pyro 19-05-2009 02:05 AM

I doubt thats often enough, probably why they eat them all!

I was told every week

Juggernaut 19-05-2009 02:07 AM

lol 2 or 3 times a week not every 2 or 3 weeks, that would be cruel! :lol2:

Pyro 19-05-2009 02:08 AM

ah right!!

How many scorps in there?

I only have two and I put in 6 last night and only 2 were eaten.

Juggernaut 19-05-2009 02:11 AM

ive got 3 lil guys in there, on 2nd moult crix,
if they arnt eating much is your enclosure too big? you probly know this but they are ambush predators, so if the tanks too big and nothing walks past, then theres nothin to ambush, i had that problem when i started, so i moved em to a smaller tank and they love it

Pyro 19-05-2009 02:14 AM

I only got them sunday so it could be that they had fed recently, so I will wait a week then try again. They are in 2/3s of a Large Flat faunarium (it comes with a divider. Once they get bigger I will take out the divider and give them the whole thing.

No, what I did was feed them one each with tweezers that they took, then kill 4 more (crushed heads) and leave them in, no more were taken. I didnt want to leave them in live unless they bite.

Next weekend I will just tweezer feed each until it is full up!!

Juggernaut 19-05-2009 02:15 AM

probly a good idea, some scorps only take live food, just fussy i guess, good luck : victory: