B.Vagans moulted into a male - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 19-05-2009, 09:40 AM
5 Star Member
Default B.Vagans moulted into a male

The B.vagans i sold to my brother (got from the spidershop.com about 2yrs ago) just moulted into a male, which i am marginally peeved about as i now have to get him a new one
so basically i have a male B.Vagans.
what do i do with it lol.
never had a male before. some people told me just to bung it in the freezer, others have told me to get a female (cant aford one so nope) someone else told me to see if anyone want's to buy him.
any suggestions as to what would be best here?
i have no idea how to breed Tarantulas, it's never been an interest of mine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Super Citizen

hi, you could offer him as a 50/50 deal, where you send him out to be mated,then receive half of any slings that are produced
Old 19-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Postaholic Member
Send a message via MSN to wohic

I hope someone wants to buy him so he can do what comes naturally , or you could offer him out on breeding terms which would mean that you would get a percentage of any babys from a successful mating.
It would be worth offering him in the classifieds for one or the other, here and on bugnation and any other spider forums you might find.
Advertisement

Old 19-05-2009, 09:51 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wohic View Post
I hope someone wants to buy him so he can do what comes naturally , or you could offer him out on breeding terms which would mean that you would get a percentage of any babys from a successful mating.
It would be worth offering him in the classifieds for one or the other, here and on bugnation and any other spider forums you might find.
I'll do that then, cheers
Dont worry, i had no intention of putting him in the freezer i was a bit shocked when it was mentioned to me tbh

Old 19-05-2009, 09:55 AM
5 Star Member
Send a message via ICQ to iiisecondcreep Send a message via AIM to iiisecondcreep Send a message via MSN to iiisecondcreep Send a message via Yahoo to iiisecondcreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCat View Post
some people told me just to bung it in the freezer,
OMG thats AWFUL! What sort of person would suggest that!!

As the others have said, if you advertise I am sure you will find someone looking for a mm vagans for loan or to buy
You may want to try more dedicated invert forums though such as bugnation or arachnophiles.

Good luck!

Old 19-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Gold Star Member

Ive got a Male Vagans im not breeding him im just keeping him for as long as he lives lovelly Tarantuala, can i ask why you have a downer on it just because its a male?
Old 19-05-2009, 10:12 AM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage View Post
Ive got a Male Vagans im not breeding him im just keeping him for as long as he lives lovelly Tarantuala, can i ask why you have a downer on it just because its a male?
it's purely because i know he wont live as long as the female i thought he was.
From an aesthetic point of view i personally dont think males look as "healthy" or pretty as females do, but that's my personal preference.
Apart from that i'm not sure why i have a downer on him, he is lovely really, i guess i am just a bit disappointed that a)i didnt notice he was male before and b) the tarantula i thought would be around for years, the Tarantula that was the first pet i bought with my OH when we moved in together wont be around for ever lol.
I only sold him to my brother because i was running out of room and my brother (who was a huuuuge arachnaphobe until recently) was really getting interested in Tarantulas, but he was only a few doors down from me and i still got to see him everyday and feed him (my brother still hates crix lol)
I dont want to freeze him, i was chatting to someone on another forum and when i told them they went all "oh no, that means you either have to breed him or freeze him, it would be kinder to him"... which is why i queried it....
I have ZERO experience with males, i dont know if they go "loopy" if they dont mate (something else i was told they can do lol and i have no idea if it's true or not)
i dont know what is best. if it's BEST that i keep him as i would a female for the length of his life, then that is what i will do

Last edited by MissCat; 19-05-2009 at 10:19 AM..
Old 19-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Gold Star Member

Keep him like you would a female definatly thats what im doing with mine, mine was sold to me as a Female but im really not that bothered its a really nice looking Vagans and i will accomodate him for as long as he lives, as for people suggesting freeze him just because he is a male they should not be in the hobbie IMO.
Old 19-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Ultra Citizen

yeah pimp him out for a 50/50 and make sure money out of him. or sell/swap him for breeding
1.0.0 E. Vulpinus (Juvi)
0.1.0 H. Lividum
0.1.0 M. Balfouri
0.1.0 A. Metallica

Have had alot more
Old 19-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Premier Member
Send a message via MSN to Becky

Why would someone tell you to put him in the freezer???????????