posting inverts help - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 03-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Ultra Citizen
Default posting inverts help

My brother has just offered me his emperor scorp collection for free not that inverts are my thing as he has too many work commitments to be able to give them the time he would like to.Hes currently doing 80+ hours a week.

They consist of 4 adult females, 1 adult male and 16 babies that are currently on mum.(will only be sent when they are ready to leave her)
As he live a considerable distance from me it's going to be impossible for me to collect them.
Does anyone know if its possible the send them individually via post?
And what is the best/safest way to send them?
Id perticularly like advice on how to send babies?

Last edited by Storm Python; 03-10-2009 at 11:27 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 05:38 AM

I can't really advise on how to pack them as I have no experience but I would think each in separate containers tho, then all in the same box RMSD (Royal Mail special delivery) would be best. The Royal Mail say to mark the box clearly as containing live harmless insects.
There are problems with the post at the moment tho and even RMSD is getting delayed in some areas so might be best to hang on a bit.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Genseric Send a message via Skype™ to Genseric

I wa sjust going to say.. might be best to hold off a bit. Xmas is coming and the Posties are getting the pound sign eyes again... so I wouldn't trust them atm.

I'm not 100% about cost, but collectively, it could be worth looking at a courier of some sort? Or.. make a day of it and spend an hour with your sibling...?

READING A BOOK/FORUM DOES NOT MAKE YOU AN EXPERT!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Posting Deity

Firsdtly wait til all the postal strikes are over and done with, and secondly make sure he posts in First half of week by RMSD so if there is a delay they will not be stuck in depot all weekend.
All will have to be packed seperately. Camera film tubs would be good for the babies if they are tiny and cricket tubes for adult.
Line tub with tissue add a few drops of water for moisture and then put in the little dude/dudette and cover with tissue so they are nice and secure.then tape on the lids ( with airholes) make sure that you label clearly so that if box is opened at depot for any reason they will know what each thing is. Line a box with bubblewrap/shreaded newspaper and nestled all tubs inside securely.If it is cold a heat pack can be added to the box but ontop of a layer of packing not directly touching the tubs. (put airholes in box) then put this box into another bigger box ( a couple of small holes)and put shredded paper /packing peanuts around til the inner box is secure. tape shut, label up and send

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4707319724/
Old 04-10-2009, 11:54 AM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to alnessman

have a look at this

Packing scorpions for transport#

Old 04-10-2009, 12:38 PM

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I emailed the Royal Mail on the 24th Sep to enquire about their policy with regard to 'Live' during the present problems.
They have lost one of mine and another was seriously delayed, plus 3 lots of ova missing.
I asked them why they didn't give priortity to packages clearly marked as 'Live' and said I thought it was nothing short of cruelty to leave living creatures sitting in a depot slowing dying.
I've sent them a reminder but still have had no reply. I can only presume that they don't know what to say.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Ultra Citizen

Be careful, it's a grey area.

I was going to say, mark them as "Live Entomological Supplies"

- Arachno-ph0bia Website
- Subscribe to my YouTube
Old 04-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Ultra Citizen

Thanks for the replies peeps.
I think due to the weather on the brink of turning and the postal strikes/delays i'll travel the 500 mile round trip to collect them.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0bia View Post
Be careful, it's a grey area.

I was going to say, mark them as "Live Entomological Supplies"

Well I have had so many probs with my mail, starting long B4 the strikes that I have lost all faith in them.
I know technically it's generally accepted in law that you can't be cruel to an invert but that said they are perishable goods and I would have thought that (at least while the strikes are on) they woud have something in place to give them priority. After all the ing junk mail seems to be totally uneffected.
Anyway that said they have now replied and managed to totally ignore all my questions re insects. All I got was a load of blahdy blah about how many parcels they deliver sucessfully and how to make a claim. Well I shall just have to ask again, they are obviously unsure how deal with the query and I hope at the very least it made them a little uneasy.
I don't know how true it is but one of their own staff told me that once a RMSD misses it's deadline then it just gets shoved in with the normal van mail. The reason apparently being that they will have to refund/compensate anyway so why bother prioritising it.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:59 PM
No Life Member
Reviews: 8
Send a message via MSN to selina20 Send a message via Yahoo to selina20

Dont put live or fragile on the box. They tend to use these as footballs.