Feeding Emperor Scorpions? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 11-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Super Citizen
Send a message via AIM to .D.o.m.i.n.o.
Default Feeding Emperor Scorpions?

How often do you feed your's ive read online,that adults will eat about 3-6 crickets a week?

How often do you feed yours?

I chuck about 6 crickets in for my two adult scorpions,to make sure they dont argue,which is a problem because they dont actually eat them all in the week,which means the female crickets end up laying eggs in thier tank and then the babies hatch because the humid and heat ect,this has happened twice now and its getting on my nerves.

For the babies which ive got two ive been pre-killing a adult cricket for them every 3 days or so depending if they've eatting the previous one.

Also ive gotten a pregnant golden scorpion,and she doesnt eat at all,i always offer her a cricket or tried pre-killing some and putting them near her burrow and she doesnt even bother with them,i cant remember when she's had her last meal,she's still healthy and always pop's out to drink water sometimes,just wondering if this is normal because she's pregnant?

Here's a old picture.

http://www.fabulouscoloursuk.webs.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Posting Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by .D.o.m.i.n.o. View Post
How often do you feed your's ive read online,that adults will eat about 3-6 crickets a week?

How often do you feed yours?

I chuck about 6 crickets in for my two adult scorpions,to make sure they dont argue,which is a problem because they dont actually eat them all in the week,which means the female crickets end up laying eggs in thier tank and then the babies hatch because the humid and heat ect,this has happened twice now and its getting on my nerves.

For the babies which ive got two ive been pre-killing a adult cricket for them every 3 days or so depending if they've eatting the previous one.

Also ive gotten a pregnant golden scorpion,and she doesnt eat at all,i always offer her a cricket or tried pre-killing some and putting them near her burrow and she doesnt even bother with them,i cant remember when she's had her last meal,she's still healthy and always pop's out to drink water sometimes,just wondering if this is normal because she's pregnant?

Here's a old picture.

Simple thing with the cricks would be to pull off thier omnipositer ( the long tube on back) for egg laying.
My emps are only tiny but they have about 6-7 mini mealies and a few cricks a week between them.

The preg one prob doesn't have any room for food tbh. I am sure she will eat when they are out. If she is still drinking then i assume all is well

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4707319724/
Old 11-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEENY View Post
Simple thing with the cricks would be to pull off thier omnipositer ( the long tube on back) for egg laying.
My emps are only tiny but they have about 6-7 mini mealies and a few cricks a week between them.

The preg one prob doesn't have any room for food tbh. I am sure she will eat when they are out. If she is still drinking then i assume all is well

I feel cruel just crushing the crickets heads when feeding them to the babies,i cant imagine pulling thier bits off lol,Legs aint soo bad but the thought of that..
Its a brilliant idea but wont be able to bring myself to do that.

Yea its quite annoying because id love her to have a meal,but she just wont so these babies better hurry and get out,ive estimated her date and april she should hopfuly have them,I bought her in sept,and she was long pregnant before that off the actual owner who i never met,because i bought her from a pet shop and they didnt know how long she was.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 01:15 PM
5 Star Member

I feed mine roaches so i tend to give them pre killed anyway ..
I would just keep feeding prekilled if they take it, then its stops the crixs laying eggs.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned
Send a message via MSN to Muze

You should be feeding you emps only 4 or 5 large crix a month each!

Anything more and they will get over weight and unhealthy.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyboid View Post
I feed mine roaches so i tend to give them pre killed anyway ..
I would just keep feeding prekilled if they take it, then its stops the crixs laying eggs.
Ive tried pre-killing them for the adults but they wouldnt eat them the Adults ive got are WC so i feel like id be taking the whole wild feeling away if i pre-kill them,where as they are use to catching them,but they wouldnt take them unless they were alive.

My mum wont let me have roachesin the house,we see them enough in work and she hates them,so thats a no go zone.
Unless i dont feed them as many crickets or buy mealworms,but i thought mealies dont hold much (goodness) in them,i thought so anyways.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Super Citizen

i feed my scorp one large cricket a week and somtimes leave it a few weeks between feeds, mine would pop if i gave it that many every week.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Super Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muze View Post
You should be feeding you emps only 4 or 5 large crix a month each!

Anything more and they will get over weight and unhealthy.
A Month? Whats with these bloody websites giving wrong information,good job ive decided to ask,no wonder they werent eatting the crickets often then.
The one is slightly bigger than the other one,but i hope thats a female (with babies)Not saying she's pregnant,but she does look quite fat,i hardly see them unless i look in the tank for them,or at night if they decide to come out.

Okay well good job ive asked at this time,i wont give them as much.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah View Post
i feed my scorp one large cricket a week and somtimes leave it a few weeks between feeds, mine would pop if i gave it that many every week.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .D.o.m.i.n.o. View Post
A Month? Whats with these bloody websites giving wrong information,good job ive decided to ask,no wonder they werent eatting the crickets often then.
The one is slightly bigger than the other one,but i hope thats a female (with babies)Not saying she's pregnant,but she does look quite fat,i hardly see them unless i look in the tank for them,or at night if they decide to come out.

Okay well good job ive asked at this time,i wont give them as much.
If she is preggers (and she does look it) she wont be up for eating...its normal

She looks like she's about to drop any minute btw lol (the golden)

Last edited by Muze; 11-01-2010 at 01:33 PM..