What Do Red Knee T's Need? - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 05-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Super Regular
Default What Do Red Knee T's Need?

I Was wondering do Red Knee T's need heat Lamps? Heat Mats? UV Lights? I Have a very low 2.0 UV Light for Nightime animals... Also is there any things for T's? like for example... Lizards have special powder with vitamins in them as well as otehr addertives to help them stay healthy and develop... is there any such thing for T's?

Also what else do i need for a Red Knee T to stay happy and healthy?
(Other Than a nice place to live & ect)

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Forum Citizen

Definitely no lamps or lights of any kind. A heat mat place on the outside wall (rather than underneath) at one end will be plenty sufficient for warmth.

Other than that, a Red Knee will like a fairly dry substrate with a small shallow water dish, and a place to hide (although mine never ever uses her hide and is always out on display).

I don't know of any food supplements or vitamins for tarantulas - mine just get the relevant size of crickets a couple of times a month, and they do very well indeed.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Super Regular

yes thanks that helped =) in my previous post i looked at the setup i already had but... i think its too tall to use for the T...

so im thinking of getting this instead

Triple 8 Reptiles - Komodo Reptile Habitats Top Opening 60 x 30 x 45cm
50 x 40 x 40cm

but i do not know as to waht soil i should use... i am thinking of this
Triple 8 Reptiles - Exo Terra Plantation Soil Single pack 8.8 ltr

as it is apparntly nice and soft and good for digging.. i do not wish to get the realy large bark chips i dnt like them lol

i plan on makeing it look exactly like this i like this design looks natural and clean
http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/images/...er_starter.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Super Regular
Send a message via ICQ to Scaredy cat

been reading a lot about glass viv's and they don't seem to hold the heat according to others that use them, mine are in fauns. I use pro rep spider soil mixed with fine vermiculite with my grammy and P. scrofa as well as my new red knee and they all seem really happy on it the P. scrofa dug a lot on it and then stuffed up the door of the hide and has just moulted and now my big grammy is digging and has been digging on and off for the last 2 days.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:06 PM

I have my 8" L. klugi in a 12" square Exo-terra, they really dont need lots of space. coir or similar is fine.
Not too moist, just off dry, increase the height of the substrate to avoid falls, provide a water bowl (plant saucer), remove uneaten food and provide a heatmat in the winter if temps get into the 60s.
Here's a good guide for G. rosea which should suit your red knee:
CARE AND HUSBANDRY OF THE CHILEAN ROSE TARANTULA

300-500 Tarantula, incl. L. parahybana, G. rosea, G. pulchra, A. geniculata, C. cyaneopubescens, P. cambridgei, P. irminia, P. pucher, C. fasciatum, H. robustum, H. sp. Pumpkin Patch, A. Guyana, A. Peru Purple, A. versicolor, B. boehmei, B. emelia, B. smithi, B. vagans, P. formosa, P. miranda, P. metallica, P. ornata, P. pederseni, P. regalis, P. rufilata, P. striata, P. subfusca, P. tigrinawesseli, L. violaceopes, H. incei
Old 09-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Ultra Citizen
Reviews: 2
Send a message via MSN to SkinheadOi85
Default Great Advice

Fantastic advice and clears up what i needed to ask, Im looking at getting a redknee when i get my next pay in!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Banned
Reviews: 9
Send a message via MSN to _TiMiSdRuNk_

Red knees are great starting spiders, not only are they pretty but they get to a nice size too! I've just paired a male and female up but it wasn't to great :/ She was in the mood but he was getting in awkward positions which weren't helping his cause! In the end he let go and they both ran away from each other! I'll try again in a few days :P
Old 09-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiMiSdRuNk_ View Post
Red knees are great starting spiders, not only are they pretty but they get to a nice size too! I've just paired a male and female up but it wasn't to great :/ She was in the mood but he was getting in awkward positions which weren't helping his cause! In the end he let go and they both ran away from each other! I'll try again in a few days :P
ooooh dibs if anything comes of it :P
Any news on your female irminia? Good job I didn't send it out before eh? :P
Old 09-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Banned
Reviews: 9
Send a message via MSN to _TiMiSdRuNk_

Quote:
Originally Posted by My plague View Post
ooooh dibs if anything comes of it :P
Any news on your female irminia? Good job I didn't send it out before eh? :P

Well i doubt anything will come out of this one! I'll bung him in again in the next few days though as i don't want him going to waste!

Only news on her is she aint come out of her home thing in about a week
Old 09-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiMiSdRuNk_ View Post
Well i doubt anything will come out of this one! I'll bung him in again in the next few days though as i don't want him going to waste!

Only news on her is she aint come out of her home thing in about a week
She needs to hurry her sweet ass up and moult!
I got loads of packing stuff including a mahoosive box, big bubble wrap baggie, and this long chain of big air bag things, And I paid nothing for it!
My dad got it all from his workplace :P