Importing... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 31-08-2010, 02:15 AM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Genseric Send a message via Skype™ to Genseric
Default Importing...

Ok, here is where I am at..

In my job, and previous jobs, I have been lucky enough to travel.. all the continents (except the obvious one, and that was because I was too hung over and missed the boat). I have good friends in these various far flung destinations, and most of them are what I would consider good friends.
I was talking to one of my Indian friends about my Ts, and what my wish list was.. conservation projects in his neck of the woods etc etc, when he suggested that he could send me some pokies if I really wanted.
Now, I will be there on Thursday night/Friday Morning, and will speak to him more about this, but one thing that did occur to me was that I have no idea about the UK regulations regarding importing arachnids!

Any of you know more about it? Being the man I am, I would want and need to observe any and all laws regarding this, as set down by the State, so there is no question of.. shall we say, going around, said laws.

Much appreciated

Neill

READING A BOOK/FORUM DOES NOT MAKE YOU AN EXPERT!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-08-2010, 03:54 AM
Ultra Citizen

I should just say something like don't do it ect ect, for a whole host of reasons but that would be no fun so il play devil's advocate a little

I only know the basics but here goes.

Afaik, if you went the legal route UK customs would not seise them if they were sent in the correct manor i.e. sent as live animals via air cargo following IATA guidlines with any needed paperwork, Poecilotheria are not covered by international laws such as CITES only the law's of the nations were they are found which is the problem in this case .

Exporting them legally would mean them being declared as what they are in India which I believe does not grant permits anymore for the export of Poecilotheria and for that matter I do not believe they give out permits for any of their wildlife to be exported for the pet trade, most or all of what you see for sale in the EU from India is in some way smuggled or has bribery rupees spent somewere.

If they get out of India into Europe then they are scott free as we do not have anything like the USA's lacey act to enforce other nations internal/domestic wildlife laws overseas (of course CITES is up held at ports ect), but to get them here in the first place you would be smuggling via the mail or person or bribery to get them out of India, and TBH it would not be worth it to get something already in the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldpoodle
Even sticky the extreamly stick like stick insect has the instinct to survive and will fight back as best it can.
Old 31-08-2010, 04:33 AM
Premier Citizen

Pretty much covered there. Also you'd have to deal with Indian government who take an absolute age to get anything done, need constant reminding and would see you as a Western money grabber. You're friends would need export licenses which would have to be applied for through a registered business over there. The list just goes on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Premier Citizen

It wasn't Pokies I was thinking of.. they are plentyful in the hobby already. It was more my other mates in Argentina, China etc etc

The only reason they were given as an example is because it was my friend there that suggested it to me.

So far, having spoken to our (as in Northern Ireland) branch of DEFRA, as long as it isn't on the CITES list, it shouldn't be a problem.. but what they say, and what is in actual fact, are two different things, hence the thread here.

Old 31-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Forum Citizen

Ask xxstaggyxx on here(i think thats his/her name) i remember him/her importing some stuff from china
Old 31-08-2010, 02:05 PM
5 Star Member

staggy did it through a legit company that exports snakes, inverts lizards etc. for the pet trade. but yea it may be worth hittin him up n gettin a bit of knowlege n btw mate your spids are in the post ill pm you the trackin no. later.

Saint George killed the last dragon, and he was called a hero for it. I've never seen a dragon, and I wish he would have left at least one. Saint Patrick made a name for himself by running the snakes out of Ireland, leaving the place vulnerable to rodent infestation. This business of making saints out of men who exterminate their fellow creatures has got to stop. All I'm saying is, it's starting to get a little lonely up here at the top of the food chain.
- A Whitney Brown
Old 31-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Premier Citizen

Cheers mate.. and I sent him a PM to see what the craic is.
Bureaucracy I can deal with, to an extent, as long as it is of the efficient kind lol

Old 31-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to xxstaggyxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalmadness View Post
Ask xxstaggyxx on here(i think thats his/her name) i remember him/her importing some stuff from china

im a guy

Old 31-08-2010, 10:45 PM
5 Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxstaggyxx View Post
im a guy
hmm ive got my doubts mate :P haha

Saint George killed the last dragon, and he was called a hero for it. I've never seen a dragon, and I wish he would have left at least one. Saint Patrick made a name for himself by running the snakes out of Ireland, leaving the place vulnerable to rodent infestation. This business of making saints out of men who exterminate their fellow creatures has got to stop. All I'm saying is, it's starting to get a little lonely up here at the top of the food chain.
- A Whitney Brown
Old 31-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Premier Citizen
Send a message via MSN to xxstaggyxx

Dose this mean ill have to post my ugly mug up for you lot if not just ask WLW lol

Tags
importing , law , legal , tarantula , world