Dyskinetic Syndrome - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 11-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Gold Star Member
Default Dyskinetic Syndrome

Firstly this IS NOT some thread for everyone to go off topic on and become a tool.

Ok so with that sorted.

Who here has experienced dyskinetic syndrome first hand?

Can you describe how the tarantula was when this occured?

I know erratic movement is common but anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Ultra Citizen

I've had a few all pokies starts as slight strange eratic movements that get worse, rapid weight loss to the abdomen I had a p.miranda recently that was quite far gone she managed to moult but it seemed to get worse then she passed its a horrible sight edit... I also had a mature male b.smithi that was bad he had no control at all and couldent walk properly its my worst night mare if I see any signs of it. I've been using reverse osmosis water to try and eleminate that as a cause but the miranda started showing symtoms after using the filterd water.

www.spiderzinc.co.uk

also check out my spiderzinc facebook page

Old 11-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Gold Star Member

Thanks for that Biffy,

Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Super Regular

Is it contagis? I have not had any Ts have this yet but watched videos and was shocked by what i saw. Do they know What couses this?
Old 11-04-2011, 04:01 PM
RFUK Premium Membership

I think the following would be useful:

a) A definition of DKS is supposed to be.

b) An explicit set of assumptions stated - e.g. "I assume DKS is one syndrome and not a suite of possible things that share similar -ish symptoms" (or vice versa)

c) Decide now whether or not it's wise to entertain theories as to the cause of "DKS"

Just some pointers, as I've seen these threads again and again and again, and they get rather cyclical after a while, usually end up in a brawl.

Worse, IMHO, is that they tend to get more people stating the slightest comparison to "DKS" is "definitely DKS".

Is DKS simply defined as "erratic movement"? Actually, that leads me onto another question (personal curiosity) - who first coined the term DKS?

Quote:
"Anyone who has watched insects or animals living their lives freely in the open knows that they do not always do their everyday duties in the same way; that there are in each population conservatives and radicals, stupid, brilliant, mediocre, and probably insane individuals" - Rau, 1933
Old 11-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Regular

There's a lot of videos on YouTube of it, doesn't look pleasant
Old 11-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Forum Citizen

Had a black trap door spider DKS on me, they just go very jitterish and seem to have a fit, very disturbing and nasty to watch, dont feed gutloaded locusts as they are known to somtimes cause DKS, and feed your crickets acidic food, such as apples and oranges to clean there system before feeding it to a T. Im not sure how to cure DKS and I dont know if there is a cure.

Thanks for your time, Aaron.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Ultra Citizen

I have had more spiders die from causes other than DKS. (only 1 DKS event so far to my knowledge).

I would be more worried about the other causes.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Premier Citizen

I've kept and traded lots of spiders and have never seen any signs of the dreaded 'DKS' with any of my collection..... now that doesn't mean i'm taking an ignorant view on this and implying it doesn't exist, however I do feel people are very quick to diagnose their spiders with 'DKS' whilst knowing very little about it.

If I was to be brutally honest I think a lot of the causes for people blaming 'DKS' for the death of their spiders comes down to poor husbandry.... i.e. keeping the spider in too damp conditions, not knowing enough about the spiders micro-climate preferences etc.

The term 'DKS' is over used.
-P
Old 11-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Gold Star Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB View Post
I think the following would be useful:

a) A definition of DKS is supposed to be.

b) An explicit set of assumptions stated - e.g. "I assume DKS is one syndrome and not a suite of possible things that share similar -ish symptoms" (or vice versa)

c) Decide now whether or not it's wise to entertain theories as to the cause of "DKS"

Just some pointers, as I've seen these threads again and again and again, and they get rather cyclical after a while, usually end up in a brawl.

Worse, IMHO, is that they tend to get more people stating the slightest comparison to "DKS" is "definitely DKS".

Is DKS simply defined as "erratic movement"? Actually, that leads me onto another question (personal curiosity) - who first coined the term DKS?
I'm not trying to entertain any theory as to the causes of "DKS", I'm mearly interested for my own personal curiosity.

DKS within humans is a form of cerebral palsy which involves a disorder within the basal ganglion.

This causes abnormal involuntary movements, primarily affecting the extremities.

Now if we take this into tarantula terms, it seems to be roughly the same, I.E, involuntary movements of extremities, in this case, mainly the legs.

Now, due to tarantulas being able to configure the movements of individual legs, as happens when a tarantula loses a leg in a moult or such, which means that whatever DKS is, is most likely triggered by some form of neuro-transmitter blockade. Now with no idea what ( if one sole thing ) causes DKS, then something must be getting into the hemolymph of the tarantula in some way in order for it to get to the brain and block transmitters as not all cases of DKS seem to be caused by eating locusts ( or some other "bad" food stuffs ) or every chemical under the sun.

That's as far as I am so far, and I could be totally wrong.