Blatantly Obvious Answer Needed, Please... - Reptile Forums

Go Back   Reptile Forums > Help and Chat > Spiders and Inverts

Old 19-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Default Blatantly Obvious Answer Needed, Please...

For as long as possible, will be the answer to this question, But... I plan on decorating my bedroom in a couple of weeks, I'm pretty sure it's been asked before but how long should I keep the babies away from the fumes for? If I lived alone I'd have them in a separate room for a couple of weeks, but my flatmate doesn't love them and she'd struggle having them anywhere she can see them for too long. So what would be the minimum amount of time if the room was aired as much as possible would you say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Premier Citizen

Speakinh from a painters point of view I'd say you should be ok after 3 or 4 days if you want peace of mind. It's mainly gloss that gives off fumes but its usually properly dry in 48 hours, just a bit smelly for a while after. Emulation shouldn't really be an issue as it dries in an hour or so

Press here...
Old 19-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_20one View Post
For as long as possible, will be the answer to this question, But... I plan on decorating my bedroom in a couple of weeks, I'm pretty sure it's been asked before but how long should I keep the babies away from the fumes for? If I lived alone I'd have them in a separate room for a couple of weeks, but my flatmate doesn't love them and she'd struggle having them anywhere she can see them for too long. So what would be the minimum amount of time if the room was aired as much as possible would you say?
most paint you buy these days is fairly non toxic due to european health and safety standards and there is also a lot of paints that are odourless
so i would just paint the room with the window open, leave it over night then put everything back in. just be sure to read the tin all the info is on the label its the voc numbers your looking for. hope this helps.

Frazier is so ugly that he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life.-Muhammad Ali-

I am the astronaut of boxing. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I'm in a world of my own.-Muhammad Ali-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Cool, thanks guys!
Old 19-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Ultra Citizen

There are so many factors to consider. What size is your room? How many coats of paint will you do? How good is the ventilation in your room? & what is your rooms ambient temp? Paint dries quicker in a warm room.
Put them in another room & put a sheet/blanket over them. Your flatmate seems ok with them in the same house/flat as long as she cant see them. Ensure him/her that there is no chance of any escapees & just do it. You'll both be laughing about it in a few weeks.

1.0.0 Burmese python, 1.1.2 Tarantulas, 1.0.0 Crested Gecko, 1.1.0 Cats, 0.2.0 Ferrets, 0.0.1 Goldfish, 0.2.0 Children, 0.1.0 Endlessly Nagging Wife!
Old 19-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidersnake View Post
There are so many factors to consider. What size is your room? How many coats of paint will you do? How good is the ventilation in your room? & what is your rooms ambient temp? Paint dries quicker in a warm room.
Put them in another room & put a sheet/blanket over them. Your flatmate seems ok with them in the same house/flat as long as she cant see them. Ensure him/her that there is no chance of any escapees & just do it. You'll both be laughing about it in a few weeks.
Indeed - of course would rather have them out as long as possible, but other than her it's the temperature, noise, her friends coming in or out ect in the rest of the flat I'm bothered about. Will play it and see what happens, have them in the living room for as long as I can get away with
Old 19-06-2011, 03:46 PM
5 Star Member
Send a message via MSN to Baldpoodle Send a message via Skype™ to Baldpoodle

Unless you are painting your room out with insect repellent you are worring about nothing.
Over the years I have and know of many others who have just redecorated and then put the spider back in the room as soon as the paint was dry enough to the touch. In fact I have even decorated one side while the spiders were move to the other side of a quite small room, and then moved them across to the other side while I did the other side and have yet to see any ill effects I could put down to paint fumes. In fact I would have to say if you are even getting bad paint fumes I would take your paint back to the supplier because you are using the wrong paint in the first place!
This is just like the fertilzer myth in substrate that is supposed to kill you spiders dead out right how in the hell do these things come about? They never were such dum ass rumors like this in the past (not calling you dum op), it just amazes me how much more we do know yet at the same time how much more crap there is to so say believe....and while Im ranting..people will just bloody stop with these so called ICU containers that are about as much use as tits on a fish and just keep the spider in the proper conditions in the fist place!

off course as usually just my opinion so carry on believeing the usless crap if you wish.

Old 19-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Banned

+1
what's an icu container though?
Old 19-06-2011, 04:04 PM

I think I love you a little Thank you for that. There's nothing I 'believe' though, just want to do the best for them that I can and I do over worry things most of the time.
Old 19-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Ultra Citizen
Send a message via MSN to Stelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldpoodle View Post
Unless you are painting your room out with insect repellent you are worring about nothing.
Over the years I have and know of many others who have just redecorated and then put the spider back in the room as soon as the paint was dry enough to the touch. In fact I have even decorated one side while the spiders were move to the other side of a quite small room, and then moved them across to the other side while I did the other side and have yet to see any ill effects I could put down to paint fumes. In fact I would have to say if you are even getting bad paint fumes I would take your paint back to the supplier because you are using the wrong paint in the first place!
This is just like the fertilzer myth in substrate that is supposed to kill you spiders dead out right how in the hell do these things come about? They never were such dum ass rumors like this in the past (not calling you dum op), it just amazes me how much more we do know yet at the same time how much more crap there is to so say believe....and while Im ranting..people will just bloody stop with these so called ICU containers that are about as much use as tits on a fish and just keep the spider in the proper conditions in the fist place!

off course as usually just my opinion so carry on believeing the usless crap if you wish.
+1 Same with the perfumes and other sprays that supposedly kill.