Reptile Forums banner

Desert Hairy scorpion.

4K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Jenni T 
#1 · (Edited)
I have had a desert hairy since june and up untill now he has been healthy aggressive and eating everything he was given
His setup has not changed in that time but in the last week or so he has become very lethargic sitting huntched up in the corner he wont eat and doesnt seem to react to much anymore.
He last ate a couple of weeks ago.
Could this be a moult or death on it way?
Hes maybe 4inch legspan at a guess (bit of an over estimate i think)

#2 ·
A pic would help, i could compare with what i witnessed with my own specimens.
from the guessed measurement(very large), i would say it's an adult and if it's not overly fat as they are in premoult...
I don't want to be too pessimistic here but it sounds like death is closing in.
I lost another specimen a few weeks back, it was an adult Spadix and as you described, it was lethargic, not eating much if at all and i noticed that they always die in the coldest side of the tank (my own experience with desert hairy's).
Death is a pretty slow process with scorpions. I noticed some very slight changes in behaviour weeks before it actually happens.

-J

#3 ·
I dont want to disturb him to get a picture is the thing!
Hes mainly just holding his claws to his face almost asif hes eating an imaginary cricket.
He is also still up against the heatmat side of the viv and doesnt look plump.
He does seem to have a lump of poo stuck to his tail.

#4 ·
The claw thing gives it away.
I'm afraid but death is knocking at the door.
How long has it been in that position? This is the last "stage" of death, can last 2-3 days (again from my own experiences)

On the other hand, i've seen some scorpions in that position for almost 24hrs and nothing happened..
In another occasion, the scorp died with its pedipalps (arms) open.

-J

#7 ·
I know! How weird is that?

-J

#16 ·
Hi there,
I'm randomdans OH, he's actually my scorpion but it was just easier to use Dans account.
Anyway he's been out doing this all evening :( seems to just be hanging off the bit of wood with one leg and he's been like it for a good while now, he does keep moving his legs but thats all.
Just wondered what your thoughts were? I know the outcome looks bleak but it just made wonder what the hell he was up to now.
Sorry for the crap phone pictures:

#18 ·
Hi there,
I'm randomdans OH, he's actually my scorpion but it was just easier to use Dans account.
Anyway he's been out doing this all evening :( seems to just be hanging off the bit of wood with one leg and he's been like it for a good while now, he does keep moving his legs but thats all.
Just wondered what your thoughts were? I know the outcome looks bleak but it just made wonder what the hell he was up to now.
Sorry for the crap phone pictures:
Never seen that "pose" before.
Doesn't look right..
Sorry :(

-J

#17 ·
I had the Same as lucozade, My desert hairy was doing really well, eating trying to kill me at every oppertunity as they should :p

then I woke up one morning and she was dead :(

Mine was also an Adult female

#19 ·
We moved him off the wood this morning, I just checked on him now and he's moving a tiny bit but he's as good as dead :(
I'll leave him be now.
Thanks everyone for your help anyway, it had to be my one invert I was really attached too that died!
R.I.P Facehugger :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.